No announcement yet.

Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any scientific experiment loses validity if the results cannot be replicated by an independent third party. That's like, a rule of science or something.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Any scientific experiment loses validity if the results cannot be replicated by an independent third party. That's like, a rule of science or something.
      You can't exactly replicate gameplay. Even if you tried following your footsteps as closely as possible it won't be exact. Gameplay benchmarks cannot be repeatable. It's not science, it's gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        If it isn't repeatable, it has questionable value. You can't tell whether it was an anomaly, a busy day on the server, or any other hiccup. Heck, you can't even tell whether anything was tested at all: if the test isn't repeatable, the writer could be pulling numbers out of his ass and nobody would be the wiser.
        see my last post. same thing.

Comment

If you want a great example of how to do gameplay benchmarks just look at HardOCP. I don't like that site too much, but their gameplay benchmarks are simply the best.

Comment

Then HardOCP is a bad site, if you can't trust their benchmarks. I'm not sure what your point was.

Comment

Thats just a copout. You should really look into their gameplay benchmark methods. It's a really good way of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                I'd happily see how much a cheap motherboard impacts CPU benchmarks.
                Probably not as much as a car tires..
                Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                In Asus, a cheap motherboard is very good hardware anyway. In Asus for Intel, the cheap motherboards (P8xxx common models for example) and Top models (Pro - Sabertooth - Maximus) not have practically differences in CPU performance. The difference is much smaller if models have similar chipset. Top Motherboards have better configurations in PCI-e Crossfire/SLI, Back IO Ports and extreme OC cooling. You can buy an cheap model from Asus and rest assured that the CPU will work like a Ferrari anyway.
                Well if you drive both cars at 60 km/h then probably any cheap tires will work. Both the 3770k and the 8350 are unlocked. Moreover, one obtains the best performance of the FX with faster memory (the i7 is rather insensitive to ram speed). It does not make sense to me to buy a 3770k and then a 'cheap' motherboard. I would save more bucks by selecting the 3770.

You are right that, at normal clocks, there is almost a unnoticeable difference in performance between 'cheap' and 'expensive' motherboards, however there are large differences regarding power consumption or temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Not sure about excavator, but yes, the focus is no longer CPU power, but thermal power. Most people have had powerful enough computers for a while. Now they want more portable, lighter, more silent, less bulky. That means boxed size PCs, Lappies, Tablets, even phones, heck. AMD had a great twist when buying AMD, in that sense. And they do have the upper hand, still. Not sure for how much longer. It still holds a lead (and it's still a much better value), but Intel is closing the gap.

Anyways, I do agree that the focus is the APU and lower power, rather than achieving gazillion MFlops at insane freqs with burning hot CPUs. Also, software is progressively parallelized, so we'll soon have chips with hundreds of cpu + gpu cores, each using a tiny amount of power, but collectively giving you a massive computational power.

There goes my crystal ball, my friends.
                  Two things are obvious with Excavator: The final and future unified HSA architecture (version 3 just published) in a CPU/GPGPU SoC that stamps out at 20nm/14nmFinFET and below which will drastically cut power consumption but equally important the matured architecture in it's 3rd incarnation has both FPU/SPU numbers through the roof.

All the laptop solutions AMD comes out with this architecture will most certainly match anything Intel can throw at it, including power dissipation and consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                    Well if you drive both cars at 60 km/h then probably any cheap tires will work. Both the 3770k and the 8350 are unlocked. Moreover, one obtains the best performance of the FX with faster memory (the i7 is rather insensitive to ram speed). It does not make sense to me to buy a 3770k and then a 'cheap' motherboard. I would save more bucks by selecting the 3770.

You are right that, at normal clocks, there is almost a unnoticeable difference in performance between 'cheap' and 'expensive' motherboards, however there are large differences regarding power consumption or temperatures.
                    I do not know why you insist with Ferrari or cars. With a cheap Asus P8Z77 you can drive your Ferrari at the speed you want. Rest assured about that.
                    You can OC an unlocked intel processor with any P8Z77 Asus cheap model (CPU + GPU + RAM). Usually you will only be limited by the type of cooler you use. You can even do a little OC in non-K processors (I can put my non-k i7-3770 to 4300Mhz). Search on youtube: P8Z77 overclock.

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                    It does not make sense to me to buy a 3770k and then a 'cheap' motherboard.
                    In general the more expensive Asus models to intel has many other good features, but do not have much to do with the processor performance. If you do not plan to use all those other features, you does not have to spend more money on one of the expensive models.
                    Last edited by YAFU; 06 June 2013, 12:07 AM.

Comment

What is the point of these benchmarks when you use such asinine graphics drivers for FX-8350 and the APU?

Show me Catalyst and Nvidia proprietary results against Haswell already.

Comment

Working...
                      X