Debian Brought Back To Life On M68K-Based Amigas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    So you're free to work on your game instead of working on "something that affects a larger userbase", but these guys can't work on the m68k port of debian? How come?
    It's like asking me to stop playing chess because it's only fun for me and doesn't contribute anything to *his* life.

Comment

To all the Naysayers. Screw you. I mean that in a nice way. A 68060 based system with a Mediator and Radeon card should be able to run Debian quite nicely.

It's nice to see m68k in Sid now. Interesting to see the architectures that Wheezy supports versus what is in Sid.

Sid;
      alpha amd64 armel armhf hurd-i386 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sh4 sparc sparc64

Wheezy;
      amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc

Squeeze;
      amd64 armel i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc

As you can see, Wheezy is adding 'armhf' and 's390x' to it from Squeeze, though both of them are just variations on other architectures (armel with hard floating points.) And whatever S390x is. Sid supports quite a few more. Very nice.

m68k processors are quite nice, and putting support back for it is more than just 'old hardware'. Think of the embedded space where the Coldfire processors are still used.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
        @BO$$
        The problem with posts like yours..
        No management, no optimal allocation of resources, so you end up with useless posts like this one. Waste of fucking time dude. Get a life. Post something that people want.
        Ahah, excellent

Comment

I will burn in hell for that...

...two days ago I moved my Amigas to attic, which really hurt me badly. And now reading news like that one I know how bad that decision was.

People who are still working on that stuff are my personal heroes :]
          Great work, keep going with that! :]

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            My game has the purpose of affecting a large userbase. Now of course, there is no guarantee. But it has the potential. While what he does only has the ability to affect a small userbase. What he does cannot become mainstream. If it were a corporation, he wouldn't be working on that since it cannot bring profits. While my game has the potential to bring profits since it's not free. There is a difference.
            With such a reasonning wtf are you doing on a Linux site? You should be using Windows. Also, life is not about financial profit.
            No need to answer me.

Comment

The problem with open source software. No management, no optimal allocation of resources, so you end up with useless projects like this one. Waste of fucking time dude. Get a job. Build something that people want.
              At least there is one person who really wants it. The same cannot be said about all well resourced and manged projects.

Comment

My game has the purpose of affecting a large userbase. Now of course, there is no guarantee. But it has the potential. While what he does only has the ability to affect a small userbase. What he does cannot become mainstream. If it were a corporation, he wouldn't be working on that since it cannot bring profits. While my game has the potential to bring profits since it's not free. There is a difference.
                People are perfectly entitled to have inane and pointless hobbies, such as golf, if they so like. Just because you like to imagine that your little game might in the future bring in some money does not make you morally superior.

Comment

Originally posted by Camelek View Post
                  ...two days ago I moved my Amigas to attic, which really hurt me badly. And now reading news like that one I know how bad that decision was.

People who are still working on that stuff are my personal heroes :]
                  Great work, keep going with that! :]
                  So sad, don't suppose you'd like to part with them?

I need to fix my A4000D so that it doesn't lock up in non-AGA video modes, then I'd end up using it a lot more. But for now, it runs games awesomely.

Every now and then you have to fire up the Oldies, it makes you appreciate the ingenuity of the few brave people who did more pioneering of the video game industry. 90% of all the crap they make now are rubbish. It's turned into Hollywood, where they mostly don't have any originality and end up just doing remakes that somehow the younger generation like...

I agree with them being heroes. There is indeed a need for it to be working. As I said in an earlier post, the Freescale processor is still being made, and there are various devices that use the m68k architecture.

Comment

The problem with open source software. No management, no optimal allocation of resources, so you end up with useless projects like this one. Waste of fucking time dude. Get a job. Build something that people want.
                    This is the power of Open Source. It powers everything and everyone can do what he want with it. Btw. why this annoying troll isn't banned, yet?

Comment

The project is not pointless as many on this thread think. The M86k architecture is very similar to newer processor used in embedded system. Since Linux is widely used in embedded system, porting debian to m86k architecture make sense. The author of this article should have it. See wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_68000_family

Comment

Working...
                      X