AMD FX-8350 "Vishera" Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    Compiler optimizations for AMD makes AMD CPUs faster on Linux than Windows, that's true. But how do you think this affects the performance of Catalyst? This is not related to the performance gain for higher memory bandwidth for the graphics parts of the APU.
    I don't know what do you mean really neither which is the relation with what I said.

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    Enthusiasts may say a lot of suff, enthusiasts also claim vinyl and tubes yield higher audio quality even when proven wrong.
    I suggest you read the XMP specs from Intel, and you'll see it's just some extra information to help choose memory clocks and timings. Once you set these settings, the performance will be equal regardless of XMP or AMP.
    I know lots of AMD users having problems with XMP memory kits. This may be related to XMP being optimized for intel chipset motherboards. I also read this

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    Even my new workstation with i7-3930 and 64GB DDR3-1600 does not use faster memory, because tests show non-significant performance improvements. You might see higher scores in memory benchmarks, but in real-world performance the gain is negligible.
    As stated above Intel chips performance is rather insensible to memory speed. This is not the case with AMD chips which can see 8--20% benefits in real-world performance; I did not even mention memory synthetic benchmarks, therefore I fail to see your point again.
    Last edited by juanrga; 23 April 2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by juanrga View Post
      In my country the difference between 8GB 1333 and 8GB 2133 is pretty ridiculous: $5.

Intel chips have bad performance gains, but AMD FX chips do it better. If you look to the figure in my previous post you can see that going from 1333 to 2133 can generate up to 10 extra frames (10% more performance) on a bulldozer chip. And some people claim greater improvements in games such as civ 5.

2133 RAM seems a must for new builds.

Most windows benchmarks report the brand and timings of the memory used.
      If you take AMD chip, then its a money waste to get any non-ecc memory. Even for gaming, whats more important - a 10% more fps or no crashes? Mind you RAM memory is the ONLY random access memory that is NOT ecc checked and is proven to bit-rot 8% chance in a month.

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
      Why does phoronix not provide that basic info?
      Because civ5 is not available as native Linux/Unix game.

Comment

• Originally posted by juanrga View Post
        I know lots of AMD users having problems with XMP memory kits. This may be related to XMP being optimized for intel chipset motherboards. I also read this
        Your friends might have actual problems, but none of these are related to XMP. XMP is not an optimization (even if advertised as so), it's just a set of "recommended" settings and timings. If the motherboard does not support it, it will not interpret this extra information stored in the flash on the memory chip, XMP does not affect memory operation.

An analogy would be EDID on Screens, without it you would need to manually adjust the configuration, but it does not affect picture quality.

Comment

Your friends might have actual problems, but none of these are related to XMP. XMP is not an optimization (even if advertised as so), it's just a set of "recommended" settings and timings. If the motherboard does not support it, it will not interpret this extra information stored in the flash on the memory chip, XMP does not affect memory operation.

An analogy would be EDID on Screens, without it you would need to manually adjust the configuration, but it does not affect picture quality.
          I physically owned a dual-bank set of 1600 ddr3 ram that refused to start on AMD system, that I had to softreset on every cold start, otherwise it will fall through memtest86. But after several softresets, the chips behaved perfectly.
          On Intel system, they worked perfectly out of the box. So it could be that some RAM brands are incompatible, better always to keep invoice handy for RMA of memory if that happens.

The same AMD system is working right now perfectly with GSkill 8G dual bank set. No softresets, nothing, perfect. So neither AMD hardware nor particular memory were faulty, there maybe problems in configuration or timings in particular MB/memory cases.
          Last edited by brosis; 23 April 2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brosis View Post
            I physically owned a dual-bank set of 1600 ddr3 ram that refused to start on AMD system, that I had to softreset on every cold start, otherwise it will fall through memtest86. But after several softresets, the chips behaved perfectly.
            On Intel system, they worked perfectly out of the box. So it could be that some RAM brands are incompatible, better always to keep invoice handy for RMA of memory if that happens.
            It's not uncommon with obscure bugs in BIOSes, some memory modules have problems on some motherboards or chipsets. But lacking of XMP has nothing to do with this, as it has nothing to do with memory operation. XMP is just an aid to set recommended settings, nothing more.

Comment

It's not uncommon with obscure bugs in BIOSes, some memory modules have problems on some motherboards or chipsets. But lacking of XMP has nothing to do with this, as it has nothing to do with memory operation. XMP is just an aid to set recommended settings, nothing more.
              Yes, thats true.

Comment

• Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Because civ5 is not available as native Linux/Unix game.
                What have to do this with phoronix not giving timings and brand of the memory used in their tests? I want to know if they used 1300, 1600, 1866...

Comment

Working...
                X