AMD FX-8350 "Vishera" Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    This is freely translated from http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/proz...3006018,3.html
    So the FX 8150 uses 172 Watt? I wonder why nobody mentioned that in the past.
    Seriously: I'm sure there's something wrong at heise. And may it just be that they got a faulty CPU by accident.
    The problem is there are only some rare people who do have the skill to and the stuff to measure this.
    Also you do have a test with the complete PC measured this is complete FUD.
    A "faster" CPU can burn more power and the result can be a lower overall power consuming of the complete pc.
    This is "Paradox" but its realistic because if you are faster done with the job you can jump into a power saving mode.
    So its possible that the FX8150 burns less power at PEAK and the result is a overall higher waste of power. The fx8350 burns more power at peak but the overall power consuming is lower.

This is a possible scenario and not a "accident"

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
      O man... you don't deal here with some website like phoronix you deal with the German Heise.de/C't

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heise_online
      http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%E2%80%99t

These people are the most advanced experts in Germany.

Intel lost the European anti-trust law lawsuit and paid 1,5 billion euros because of a statement these heise.de/C't experts.

so in fact you are a FOOL if you think you can mess with these kind of experts.
      They didn't describe their methodoligy. They didn't show any graphs over time of their results. Basically, they just blurted out some random statements.. I don't care if they are the Gods of the German Ueber Empire, if they BS, they BS. That said, they could have used an ISA or PCI card and not run GPGPU or 3D tests. The OS would probably be dog slow and but wattage should be extremly low. PCI-e with very very low power usages do exists again, with the information from the article, that is all not known.

So experts or not, they wrote a shitty claim without any proof.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
        They didn't describe their methodoligy. They didn't show any graphs over time of their results. Basically, they just blurted out some random statements.. I don't care if they are the Gods of the German Ueber Empire, if they BS, they BS. That said, they could have used an ISA or PCI card and not run GPGPU or 3D tests. The OS would probably be dog slow and but wattage should be extremly low. PCI-e with very very low power usages do exists again, with the information from the article, that is all not known.

So experts or not, they wrote a shitty claim without any proof.
        sue them in a court.. but beware heise.de/C't never lost a single sawsuite on a technical question.
        because they REALLY did and prove what they write.

"I don't care if they are the Gods of the German Ueber Empire"

yes yes but we in germany only talk the language: lawsuit/court and amd can try to sue them.

they will lose anyway.

Comment

The nice thing about this is that you can have BOTH unlocked multiplier AND virtualization support.

Comment

Originally posted by Thev00d00 View Post
            The nice thing about this is that you can have BOTH unlocked multiplier AND virtualization support.
            no its even more you can have unlocked cpu+virtualization+ECC non-reg ram.

Comment

Thanks for the review! However, exactly like many in this thread already mentioned,

total system power consumption and powerconsumption per task measurement are missing. Those are rather critical for desktop usage...

Also, TDP, CPU or system drains - this details mean nothing. Only the total system consumption [CPU, memory, motherboard] plays role for desktop user. They should be competitive or matching the performance.

This is not Linux, but they do mess max and idle power consumption. Assuming Linux power implementation is on paar to OfftopicOS, these values should apply(clickable).
              Last edited by crazycheese; 23 October 2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

John Doe cooling solution at home will never get any good result.

But hey that?s the fake world we life in.

In my point of view this is a ~150watt TDP cpu and the intel one 3770K is a ~100 watt TDP cpu.
                Uhm... The Intel chip and the motherboard to run the Intel chip are *both* more expensive..

It's an FX CPU.. It's for enthusiasts just like the Intel Extreme edition CPUs are for enthusiasts.. If you aren't one, you don't need to buy one.. A lot of gaming PCs on Windows have water cooling, including mine. I love the fact that AMD kept socket compatibility as I haven't had to buy a new CPU waterblock since AM2 came out 6 years ago or so.

It's good to see if I get an FX chip, I can get some pretty sexy performance out of it on both Windows and Linux. Wish I could say the same about my watercooled SLI'd GTX 470s...

I was really planning on going Intel for my next desktop, but now I really think I won't. Although I will be ditching my nvidia graphics cards ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Thev00d00 View Post
                  Because most servers run overclocked?
                  My 2500k can do both anyway. It's missing some hardware support for I/O virtualization (I think), but it can virtualize nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                    Uhm... The Intel chip and the motherboard to run the Intel chip are *both* more expensive..

It's an FX CPU.. It's for enthusiasts just like the Intel Extreme edition CPUs are for enthusiasts.. If you aren't one, you don't need to buy one.. A lot of gaming PCs on Windows have water cooling, including mine. I love the fact that AMD kept socket compatibility as I haven't had to buy a new CPU waterblock since AM2 came out 6 years ago or so.
                    Unless you produce your own power, the energy costs will nullify any advantage less than in 6 months if you live in europe. If you have cheap energy, then its not relevant.

The "enthusiasts" thing is complete BS. Its just a label, labels don't mean anything, raw benchmarks do. Labeling yourself "Bruce Lee 2" won't make you one.

Comment

The problem is there are only some rare people who do have the skill to and the stuff to measure this.
                      Also you do have a test with the complete PC measured this is complete FUD.
                      A "faster" CPU can burn more power and the result can be a lower overall power consuming of the complete pc.
                      This is "Paradox" but its realistic because if you are faster done with the job you can jump into a power saving mode.
                      So its possible that the FX8150 burns less power at PEAK and the result is a overall higher waste of power. The fx8350 burns more power at peak but the overall power consuming is lower.

This is a possible scenario and not a "accident"
                      Thanks for explaining this, but for you accidents (like somebody at AMD didn't notice the to high watt usage) are impossible? After all there are humans involved and humans make mistakes, else we would never buy a faulty CPU.

Please also note that I just wanted to count things that could have happened, I never told one of them must.

Comment

Working...
                      X