X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I am aware china (and North Korea) do have their own Linux distro that they moderate that allows them to freely distribute their censored computing laws.
    I lawled!

Seriously, there was, is and will be informational warfire, but its between security agencies only. And both of them basically do the same thing.
    If you would read up on how chinese firewall and all those media clone sites work, you will realise that in many places china versions offer much more freedom; there are only several things protected and they are all about politics.
    Also, the whole hardware is way more open than intel, amd, nvidia or anything else. Its very welcomed development so long it stays open.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Basically Loongson is pretty stupid to rely on an amd chipset for gfx.
    I think its the best pick as a start given the available choices.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 05 October 2012, 08:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    I'm aware of that. I didn't say you can't do this, what I'm saying is MIPS is really slow and basic so virtualization will suck, even on a quad core, and there is very little Linux desktop focus on MIPS. you can get a basic functional usable Linux desktop running on MIPS but don't expect to do much beyond basic web browsing, office work, or really anything that computers did back in the early 2000s. Even with a decent GPU with good drivers, people are still going to have to port everything.
    Sure emulation is slow but its not the slowest CPU to do that because the loongson 3A can handle : Integer-x86,FPU-X87,MMX,SSE1 und SSE2 in hardware.
    And your point was you can not run a windows to to get your freedom to choose ?
    Do you need "Speed" for freedom of speech ?
    Anyway yes loongson 3A is slow and loongson 3B-65nm was also slow even with 8cores but the found the broken bottle neck. the 32nm Loongson 3B do have a extra of 8mb L3 cache and more clock speed.

So why not just wait until the hardware is faster? The loongson is under development.
    the 32nm 3B 8core loongson is the first with a real commercial impact.
    But yes even that cpu will be slow. you maybe get the speed of a modern 4-5ghz x86 dualcore..

keeping them within their laws.
    Nice try but loongson do not have a DRM system in the firmware... but future AMD cpus do have "TrustZone - ARM" and intel CPUs do have "Trusted Execution Technology"...

The (USA) CPUs do have active-DRM-TCPA to force the users into their laws WORLDWIDE.

But naive people like you think the "EVIL" chinese government do this.. LOOOOOOL.

Yes maybe thats the plan but in fact the USA do the same.
    But maybe the only point is you like the US law more than the Chinese law?

I life in a official occupation zone "UNO official:enemy state" of the USA "Germany" and I trust the Chinese people more than my own or the US people.

Trust is something you can't get with a Police Raid at your home and I get a police raid an my home this year because I bought "Bus-Tickets" in the internet (no joke they break my constitutional right of a government free secure home because I bought Bus-Tickets from the Internet for 70?).
    The prosecutor has closed the proceedings without any effect on me. but hell a police raid with 5-6 Police officers because 70? ? and they needed 3-4 hours for me this means this "Raid" caused cost of more than ~ 1000-2000? for nothing. to take away some bus tickets from me i bought in *faithful and believe* (really no joke i can scan the official Police-documents from the Raid).

So in fact our Law and Order country?s are a full joke.

"freedom of speech" is also against the law in germany you get 5 years of jail for babbling in germany (no this is not a joke there are 1000 of people in germany in jail because of babblin the wrong stuff).

and you talk about china LOL--

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Last I checked, almost the entire Debian archive is available on MIPS. What kind of porting do you feel is necessary?
    Do any MIPS systems have OpenGL support? Because if they don't that's a pretty hefty chunk of packages that aren't available.

Putting gpu stuff aside, Maybe the entire stable release of MIPS is available but we all know how ancient that is, in Linux years anyway. I'm sure a lot of Sid or wheezy is available for MIPS but I'm sure it breaks more often than x86 or ARM. But, just because all, or most of Debian is available, it doesn't mean that has everything you need. There are plenty of packages that Debian doesn't offer on any platform, and not all of them are MIPS compatible.

In the open source world, just about anything can be ported but it doesn't mean someone has.

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Gee, that sounds like a lot of free software development money. Where exactly is it being spent ?
    Last time i checked loongson do have a 0.0000x% market share even if they spend 25times more than amd the impact is small.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Obviously some went into modifying QEMU to use the x86 emulation instructions in the microcode, and modifying existing open source drivers to work on the Loongson CPU, but your comment seems to suggest there is a lot more going on. EnQuiring minds want to know
    What do you expect from a market participant with a market share of 0.0000x%?

ye I know hitting children is what big boys from amd+intels do because they can not fight against a real enemy.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    And to say that a virtualized windows will run fast when qemu in emulation mode is used must be a joke. Not even running qemu-system-x86_64 on x86 is fast (used to emulate 64 bit systems even on 32 bit cpus).
    It doesn't need to run "fast". It just needs to run at acceptable speed for some indispensable legacy x86 applications.

Don't forget that Loongson's purpose is not winning benchmarks (or fighting corporatism, for that matter). Its goal is achieving independence from foreign CPU imports.
    Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    You can use "Debian" for your Loongson hardware and inside of Debian you can Run QEMU and inside of QEMU you can run X86 Windows with hardware accelerated "x86".
    More likely than what you describe is that the x86 emulation hardware acceleration is intended for qemu-user mode.
    you can get a basic functional usable Linux desktop running on MIPS but don't expect to do much beyond basic web browsing, office work, or really anything that computers did back in the early 2000s. Even with a decent GPU with good drivers, people are still going to have to port everything.
    Last I checked, almost the entire Debian archive is available on MIPS. What kind of porting do you feel is necessary?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    ???? really what do you smoke?

You can use "Debian" for your Loongson hardware and inside of Debian you can Run QEMU and inside of QEMU you can run X86 Windows with hardware accelerated "x86".
    I'm aware of that. I didn't say you can't do this, what I'm saying is MIPS is really slow and basic so virtualization will suck, even on a quad core, and there is very little Linux desktop focus on MIPS. you can get a basic functional usable Linux desktop running on MIPS but don't expect to do much beyond basic web browsing, office work, or really anything that computers did back in the early 2000s. Even with a decent GPU with good drivers, people are still going to have to port everything.

On the other side Intel+AMD use in fact Nazi-Corporatism against the "Users" in there secret fight against "communism" ideas like "Free/Open-source" software.

In fact AMD lose 98% of the support money for WINDOWS for every open-source user switing to "Loongson" hardware. In fact if you buy "Lonngson" hardware you support 25-50 times more Free-software with your support money than if you buy "AMD" hardware.

If you buy Intel/AMD hardware you need to donate 100? to the FSF for every computer you buy because of your crime buying "X86" hardware and supporting Nazi-corporatism.

Maybe you are right and the Chinese communism is bad but one is for sure human history show that "Nazi-Corporatism" is bad for sure.
    I don't get what this has anything to do with what I said. all I'm saying is it'd be much easier for china to moderate what people do on their computers if they use an architecture that already has Linux support but has VERY minimal attention drawn to it, making it very unsuitable for commercial products. While that may mean products supported by china won't work, I'm sure some of those devs will be requested to port their work. I didn't say anything about the morality of what they're doing, I'm just saying it would make sense if china made MIPS based computers to sell to its people for real cheap and keeping them within their laws.

But going back to your point, I don't get it, are you saying AMD and intel don't profit from Linux? because that makes no sense - they're a hardware company. Intel is huge so their relatively small Linux attention won't have the slightest impact on their revenue. AMD just has enough Linux devs to keep people from bitching at them for not supporting the platform at all.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Basically Loongson is pretty stupid to rely on an amd chipset for gfx. And to say that a virtualized windows will run fast when qemu in emulation mode is used must be a joke. Not even running qemu-system-x86_64 on x86 is fast (used to emulate 64 bit systems even on 32 bit cpus).

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    In fact if you buy "Lonngson" hardware you support 25-50 times more Free-software with your support money than if you buy "AMD" hardware.
    Gee, that sounds like a lot of free software development money. Where exactly is it being spent ?

Obviously some went into modifying QEMU to use the x86 emulation instructions in the microcode, and modifying existing open source drivers to work on the Loongson CPU, but your comment seems to suggest there is a lot more going on. EnQuiring minds want to know

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Haha I knew Qaridarium would be all over this.

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    Originally posted by tkmorris View Post
    There we go with Hitler again... And I'm sure Intel/AMD can force me to buy their products just like the government of China can.
    AMD+Intel=~100% market-share http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly
    Sure they can force you with there "Monopoly" power.
    In practice there is no difference how they force you by law or by monopoly power it doesn?t matter.
    They just force you.

Also the stupid people talk about windows in the meaning of the defence of freedom LOL WINDOWS FORCE the people to use AMD/Intel hardware.

Yes nice "Freedom" its the freedom to die or get a ass-fuck from intel(USA)

But hey its freedom because you have the choice to do suicide.

Originally posted by tkmorris View Post
    Oh boy! If AMD/Intel invite me down the station for some "tea", I am pretty sure nobody will ever hear of me again! Yes, yes, it has happened over and over again.
    That's the clue intel/amd just hurt you by trashing your ownership into pieces with planned obsolescence.

They just don't need to "take you away" they control your life 100% just in the place were you are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X