Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    Your MIPS talk has nothing to do with loongson
    You forgot to read the post I was replying to.

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    because loongson do have a beefier FPU and a SIMD-Vector unit and a SIMD-Integer unit ... 3A do have 2*64bit units and 3B having two 256 bit vector processing units in each core. and 3C do have two 512bit vector units and 1 SIMD-512bit-Integer unit..
    Good for loongson, bad for the whole MIPS ecosystem: one vendor with a proprietary implementation
    which may change in future versions, which probably means it will remain a niche feature.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      You forgot to read the post I was replying to.

Good for loongson, bad for the whole MIPS ecosystem: one vendor with a proprietary implementation
      which may change in future versions, which probably means it will remain a niche feature.
      right but who knows? ARM is for sale and maybe the Chinese people buy arm.
      then loongson=arm..

but who knows the future?

but right now loongson is the most advance mips cpu..

Comment

Originally posted by mybug View Post
        Hmm just a thought, would windows programs work through wine on the Loongson (or any MIPS processors)? (I don't know the internals of wine...)
        Edit: http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Win...a847305a78b78f

I am willing to move to a MIPS processor in the future, however, it would be great to know the advantages/disadvantages.
        As I am using Debian, the move would be simple I assume, as a lot of common packages would be readily available.

PS: 我学习中文! 我的中文不好。
        It seems that WINE only translate W32 API to POSIX API...so you also need a virtual machine like bochs...
        I didn't try WINE on my Loongson2F box, I only tried DOSBOX. It runs OK, the only problem is that this machine is TOO TOO TOO SLOW... just like using a x86 machine produced one decade ago...

Most packages in mipsel is ready to use on Debian. I can have vim, audacious, scim-pinyin, scim-anthy, battle for wesnoth simply using aptitide... the only problem is that this machine is TOO TOO TOO SLOW...

PS: 我是天朝人,中文还说得过去啦,o(∩∩)o...哈哈

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
          how good does x264 and webm work on such quad or manycore cpus as example the 4core is there some gpu acceleration or is the cpu better in doing that.

I hate in on my zacate systems that 120% of the cpu is used (1core + 20% of the second core) for gstreamer based movie apps (totem / minitube...) so that browsing and other stuff really gets slow when I have a video on some other screen. I mean yes a i7 is much faster than this mips chips no question but if you want a powersaving machine, like a zacate I think it should be close or because of the 4 cores maybe the loongsons are even faster?

Its at least impressive what they do with a crappy shit 100 year old 65nm process. would nice to see a 32core 22nm version of that, and that could be very cheep, and also still in <50Watts.

GPUs are useless, they get maybe usefull drivers (I mean except basic drawing of the screen and a year2000 opengl 1.3 deskop acceleration speed...) when nobody use them anymore... if even than...

hope cpus can become better, because gpus failed because the impossibility to write proper software for it...

and yes even if amd would release finaly good opensource drivers, like as example intel does at least for some gpus (some do support hardware accelerated video encoding, so for the user this gpus are stronger and the intel cpus are stronger anyway)... they would not commit to openbios and such stuff... so I really love that stuff, and if it is fast enough fro me, minitube and browser and movies without having all cores involved do work with that and its somewhat power efficient I will switch to that. even if the x86 alternatives would be theoreticaly stronger in some wether-calculations or 3d games... with proprietary drivers.
          I have an AMD K8 4400+ and an Athlon || X3 (4 cores enabled) and found that multicore is very useful when you want to do several things at the same time. Loongson2F is a single core CPU and it is too slow, but Loongson3X may be better I think.

>would nice to see a 32core 22nm version of that
          Maybe that will be available in Loongson3C?(^_^) I will wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by yx_wh View Post
            It seems that WINE only translate W32 API to POSIX API...so you also need a virtual machine like bochs...
            I didn't try WINE on my Loongson2F box, I only tried DOSBOX. It runs OK, the only problem is that this machine is TOO TOO TOO SLOW... just like using a x86 machine produced one decade ago...
            Instead of a virtual machine interpreter like bochs, a virtual machine JIT transcompiler like qemu would make more sense, especially as it can run the x86 version of a linux program (not necessarily needing a whole OS) like Wine on top of a different architecture CPU like MIPS or ARM.

It would still be too slow to use it for anything but very trivial Windows applications, of course, but it should certainly be a lot faster than bochs.

Comment

Working...
            X