No announcement yet.

AMD A10-5800K "Trinity" APU On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, what memory did you use? As the igpu uses main memory the speed of ddr3 has hefty impact for gaming benchmark results.

Comment

EDIT -- my bad... the sticker on the RAM said 4GB but when I looked up the part number it was actually a set of 2 2GB sticks, so the table is correct. Post below updated.

The pic of the motherboard suggested 2 x 2GB sticks at 1600 :

Last edited by bridgman; 02 October 2012, 01:53 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

It would be nice if Phoronix could include an Ivy Bridge system in the next graphics comparison, since this is an APU.

I'd be interested to see how they stack up against each other in linux, not just how it compares to discrete cards.

I realize it means the CPUs will have different speeds, but you can pick some i3 ivy bridge cpu to stay close - or just pick any ivy bridge you have and list the prices for each so we can compare them.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          EDIT -- my bad... the sticker on the RAM said 4GB but when I looked up the part number it was actually a set of 2 2GB sticks, so the table is correct. Post below updated.

The pic of the motherboard suggested 2 x 2GB sticks at 1600 :

http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...nity_linux_lrg
          Ah ,thanks. So according to toms review you could get bit more fps by using ddr3 1866MHz rams. Could you Micheal do the quick memory comparing test with i.e. 1060,1333,1600 and 1866 MHz rams?

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Ah ,thanks. So according to toms review you could get bit more fps by using ddr3 1866MHz rams. Could you Micheal do the quick memory comparing test with i.e. 1060,1333,1600 and 1866 MHz rams?
            From a german site, but the graph does not need any explanation, besides blue=games, red=apps, green=weighted:

Comment

Hmm 2133MHz...Chipset maximum should be 1866MHz, is there some way to circumvent it or is that some artificial test. Quite impressive performance increase nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                Hmm 2133MHz...Chipset maximum should be 1866MHz, is there some way to circumvent it or is that some artificial test. Quite impressive performance increase nonetheless.
                It's not a hard limit. AMD only specifies 1866MHz as the validated maximum frequency, but it seems that reaching 2133MHz was just a matter of relaxing the timings a bit on the platform used by this site.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Nobody will look to spend $50-100 less for the CPU AND run a crossfire setup at the same time. It doesn't make sense. The top end of these CPUs stops about where the low end of Sandy Bridge starts.
                  You're curious about the setup, I can accept that. But I just don't buy AMD's talk that CPU power has ceased to matter right where they started failing to compete.
                  I don't agree with that statement either, CPU power is important in many aspects of computing. However if we go straight to gaming, you're talking about the bottleneck between the CPU and the iGPU on the APU. I wouldn't be suprised if the bottleneck wasn't still the GPU in many games, thus giving cause to actually consider a crossfire APU setup over an i3 + discrete card. The latters extra CPU grunt won't help you get more FPS out of your GPU when its maxed, but thats something we'll see more benchmarks on when its in the wild.

Still, I'd rather PRIME with the features of Lucid Virtu MVP as opposed to crossfire, ultimately.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                    Only an Intel idiot would post any Anandtech bentmarks.

And who's says they are quitting the desktop market?
                    Anand was actually very kind to AMD. He just picked the two worst slides to show.

Comment

To everyone saying crossfire would be useless for this APU, are you aware of the "Hybrid Crossfire" feature? It would be nice to know if it works on Linux and what performance would be like when pairing this APU with a Radeon HD 6670.

Comment

Working...
                      X