Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming: AMD's New Trinity APUs On Linux

Phoronix: Upcoming: AMD's New Trinity APUs On Linux

This morning you may be seeing a number of performance previews on AMD's Trinity APUs for the desktop, while the full embargo covering these latest Fusion products has yet to expire. Phoronix tests of Trinity under Linux are forthcoming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about openbenchmarking data base? Are there any tests to read? (Well I thought that mentioning that service is part of tradition by now on Phoronix ;P )

Comment

maybe someone can clear this up for me: An APU is a mix-up between the GPU and the CPU, right? Is it still possible to use a 'real' graphiccard? And much more important: Are there going to be any new 'real' CPUs? (just talking about AMD)

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        maybe someone can clear this up for me: An APU is a mix-up between the GPU and the CPU, right? Is it still possible to use a 'real' graphiccard? And much more important: Are there going to be any new 'real' CPUs? (just talking about AMD)
        Yes you can use discrete graphic card for fm2 socket motherboards. There are coming some athlons for that socket too where are disabled gpu but those are quite weak cpus anyway.

For am3+ socket piledriver should be released this year, but don't except _huge_ power improvement over bulldozer.

Comment

They might skip Piledriver and head straight to Steamroller, that's what the latest rumors are saying.

Keep up the good work Michael! I am very interested in this one!

Comment

Kind of fishy to me that they're only allowing gaming and power consumption benchmarks. No overclocking results until next week (after the processor has launched). We know the application performance is going to suck in comparison to anything Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
              [...]We know the application performance is going to suck in comparison to anything Intel.
              no it will not. Under Windoze it will be compared to the Intel CPU-graphic combo much better. At least in applications where OpenGL, DirectX or flash is used. Who needs a 15% performance plus in single-core CPU processing when the GPU processing is crap I might buy a AMD Trinity APU in the next year or so, when Linux support is hopefully a bit better and prices decrease.

Comment

I'd go with Intel

AMD got better integrated graphics than Intel.

Still I would go with Intel because the Linux graphics device drivers are better for Intel than for AMD.

Comment

Ah, very nice that AMD sent some here. Looking forward to the linux results.

Comment

Please make sure you use a 3.6 kernel, or if you use a stable kernel, make sure it has the latest stable series patches. They contain fixes for certain display configurations.

Comment

Working...
                    X