Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No change

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Sounds like a memory issue to me too. I would tend to say its a memory leak somewhere.

Try this: switch to tty1. Login. Launch htop, note memory and swap usage and go away. When you return, check memory and swap usage.
    Also check for HDD activity. Perhaps cirtain components were removed from memory as not needed anymore, due to not being adressed. If you claim its CPU, the memory load should be same and hdd should not be accessed intensively while you login back.

I did the test for well over an hour and their wasn't a serious change in swap/memory usuage. When I think about it Ubuntu 12.04 got really slow after my UFEI auto "overclocked for optimal performance" (Asus MA97 Motherboard). Is there a possible error with the cpu freq settings? If so how can I find out, and how do I fix it. I've noticed it still says 3.6GHZ despite the fact it's at 4.2ghz. (I tested with default 3.6ghz, but it's still slow.)

Current hardware:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti (Gigabyte)
    Asus MA97 (Standard) motherboard
    4GB Jigsaw Ram
    Thermaltake 750W power supply.
    Blue Scorpio 500GB HDD 5400/Intel 30gb SSD
    Rosewell Wireless PCI
    AMD FX 4100 Quad Core Processor @3.6GHZ/4.2
    Ubuntu 12.04/12.10

Comment

An article comparing Intel Core i5 and AMD FX-8xxx would definitely be more useful to me!! These processors are at compariable price points just now... I really don't know whether the AMD FX performance sucks under Linux. I am sure I am not alone in wanting this comparision!!

I doubt many people care if 12.10 is marginally faster or slower than 12.04. People either ride the bleeding edge or add PPA's to the LTS. They aren't going to change their behavour as a result of these benchmarks...

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
        I did the test for well over an hour and their wasn't a serious change in swap/memory usuage. When I think about it Ubuntu 12.04 got really slow after my UFEI auto "overclocked for optimal performance" (Asus MA97 Motherboard). Is there a possible error with the cpu freq settings? If so how can I find out, and how do I fix it. I've noticed it still says 3.6GHZ despite the fact it's at 4.2ghz. (I tested with default 3.6ghz, but it's still slow.)

Current hardware:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti (Gigabyte)
        Asus MA97 (Standard) motherboard
        4GB Jigsaw Ram
        Thermaltake 750W power supply.
        Blue Scorpio 500GB HDD 5400/Intel 30gb SSD
        Rosewell Wireless PCI
        AMD FX 4100 Quad Core Processor @3.6GHZ/4.2
        Ubuntu 12.04/12.10
        Heat? Not enough voltage being applied?

Comment

Sounds like you have a conflict with C&Q (cool and Quite)

Leave off the MB OC.

It is most likely disabling the default turbo up and turbo down...consequently you are running at 100% all the time, resulting in thermal throttling due to insufficient cooling. (you can certainly run 100% all the time with aftermarket coolers/ watercooling.)

MB control of OC is notoriously horrible/ easily outdated.
          Compound this this Linux that does not always support every CPU correctly and you are asking for trouble.

I would manually OC or set at default.

Comment

Originally posted by mdk777 View Post
            It is most likely disabling the default turbo up and turbo down...consequently you are running at 100% all the time, resulting in thermal throttling due to insufficient cooling. (you can certainly run 100% all the time with aftermarket coolers/ watercooling.)
            That's insane. No CPU will be throttled as long as it's running at stock speed. The bundled cooler is designed to sustain at least that much heat.

Comment

Well, I didn't say it was a certainty...but it is a possibility.

I have been OC P-Sate since clawhammer... and intel since 386....Both AMD and Intel have only instituted their versions of turbo in the last few years...so the old-time OC'ers know a thing or two about the subject.

MB OC can indeed screw the pooch on CPU performance. For the CPU to drop performance over time, overheating is the most likely culprit. (excluding virus on MS)

And sorry, stock coolers can easily induce thermal throttling on an incorrect OC. (MB OC often set the wrong Voltage states for example)

Insane or not, it is true. Sorry, but your incredulity indicates you have no experience on the topic. Or perhaps are just trolling and not looking for solutions.

PS. having the most up to date BIOS helps.
              Last edited by mdk777; 24 September 2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with my FX8150's performance. It can even run crappy Java applications like Netbeans without choking, and I can still do other computationally intensive things and run a few VMs without slowing the PC down a bit. Of course, having a proper motherboard, SSD and RAM helps...

Comment

Working...
                X