Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Is Faster With Intel Hardware

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Is Faster With Intel Hardware

While benchmarks have already indicated ARM performance improvements in Ubuntu 12.10, early testing of this "Quantal Quetzal" release has also revealed that Intel hardware is benefiting too from performance optimizations for this Linux operating system update due out in October.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One more reason to be a proud owner of intel hardware

Comment

Ubuntu 12.10 Is Faster With Intel Hardware

"While benchmarks have already indicated ARM performance improvements in Ubuntu 12.10, early testing of this "Quantal Quetzal" release has also revealed that Intel hardware is benefiting too from performance optimizations for this Linux operating system update due out in October."

No kidding? Really? Who would have thought that a current gen dual core, hyperthreaded 64 bit processor that draws 17W and costs $300 would perform better than a quad core, single threaded 32 bit Cortex A9 SoC that draws around 4W - 5W and costs about $25? WOW! What an epiphany! I never knew that would be the case! Thank you so much Phoronix for stating the blatantly obvious!

/end sarcasm

Comment

Interesting, I thought the updates (which don't affect the kernel or X server version, apparently) wouldn't make a difference, but apparently they do. Good to know, since I have Ivy Bridge hardware as well. Though it makes me wonder, why is something like libvpx encoding time impacted at all? How is it possible to get better results when the kernel itself, as well as the tested program, haven't changed?

Originally posted by Darkseider View Post
        Who would have thought that a current gen dual core, hyperthreaded 64 bit processor that draws 17W and costs $300 would perform better than a quad core, single threaded 32 bit Cortex A9 SoC that draws around 4W - 5W and costs about $25?
        Uhm, you might want to read what you quoted again. It says that "latest Ubuntu has performance improvements that work for both ARM and x86". Not that "x86 > ARM".

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseider View Post
          "While benchmarks have already indicated ARM performance improvements in Ubuntu 12.10, early testing of this "Quantal Quetzal" release has also revealed that Intel hardware is benefiting too from performance optimizations for this Linux operating system update due out in October."

No kidding? Really? Who would have thought that a current gen dual core, hyperthreaded 64 bit processor that draws 17W and costs $300 would perform better than a quad core, single threaded 32 bit Cortex A9 SoC that draws around 4W - 5W and costs about $25? WOW! What an epiphany! I never knew that would be the case! Thank you so much Phoronix for stating the blatantly obvious!

/end sarcasm
          Sorry, but isn't the article supposed to say that performance has improved on intel hardware compared to the same intel hardware in previous releases not ARM vs Intel?

Nonetheless, you are missing the point.

Comment

If the numbers of that SoC are correct, it's clearer than distilled water, than a SteamBOX won't use a Intel architecture ....both from a console price, console power drain and from a console performance POV, it will be the best decision for Valve and the consumers.

It will be also from a strategic POV , Valve stay away from Intel architecture.
            Last edited by AJSB; 14 August 2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

@darkseider

Hostility due to elementary reading miscomprehension? That might be somewhat embarrassing.

There was no 1:1 ARM vs Intel IB comparison, but a reference ? perhaps a little out of place ? of architectural improvements to both.

Interesting bits of information, although since my gear is either Sandy Bridge or earlier I'm not sure how or if "Ubuntu 12.10 Is Faster With Intel Hardware" applies to my hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                Interesting bits of information, although since my gear is either Sandy Bridge or earlier I'm not sure how or if "Ubuntu 12.10 Is Faster With Intel Hardware" applies to my hardware.
                Well, since Ivy Bridge is pretty much Sandy Bridge with a beefier GPU (or whatever it's called), most improvements still apply.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Well, since Ivy Bridge is pretty much Sandy Bridge with a beefier GPU (or whatever it's called), most improvements still apply.
                  True. Here's hoping... I usually root for the underdog (e.g. AMD), but I must admit Intel has been doing a sterling job looking after their past platforms.

Now it's down to our dear devs to make those updates percolate down to us faithful masses.

I only wish there was at least one ARM vendor supporting open-source driver development like Intel but I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                    I only wish there was at least one ARM vendor supporting open-source driver development like Intel but I digress.
                    I know you mean graphics, but you should still say so. Almost all ARM vendors do open-source drivers for the non-gpu-vpu parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X