2700k >= 3930k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2700k >= 3930k?

Lately, I've been considering upgrading my 2700k to a 3930k. Before I did anything, I wanted to test to see what kind of a difference in performance I could expect. After running the tests, I got a strange result. http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...BY-1201213EG19 The 2700k seems almost on par, if not better than the 3930k. I'm aware that some of the tests are not there. There were dependency issues, but the tests that worked were surprising. Any thoughts?

Useless upgrade in most cases because when you are no gentoo/arch user you do not compile the whole day to make use of 6 cores instead of 4. If you want to play games then a faster gfx card is the way to go. Maybe rage could use 6 cores if you don't have got a nvidia (because of cuda) card if you want to improve the textures. Also you can still oc your i7-2700k if you want. So if you have got money to burn maybe get a nv gtx 670/680 instead.

Comment

I actually AM a Gentoo user. I already have a 7970 and the 2700k is at 4.8ghz. That's why the question even arose for me.

Comment

Judging the the specific tests where differencies were pro 2700, I'd say it has something to do with cpu clock only. Try benching them at same hz.

Comment

Well K cpus often used for oc, but you can be sure that 4 cores will oc simpler than 6 cores. If you use 4 cores at fullspeed with vcore override you need much energy however. But you could try forced multi to test max overclock without vcore raise and then use that multi just for turbo - under load. Without K you can only raise turbo +4 steps and increase base clock.

Comment

I left my 2700k at 4.8ghz because it is a common overclock for that chip. I figured the 4.4ghz that the 3930k was tested at was also pretty average for that chip. The test was not whether the chips were equivelant at the same frequency, but how they compared overclocked to their respective typical OC ranges.

Comment

The only test that is relevant for gentoo users is the kernel compilation speed.

Comment

Working...
              X