X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    I work closely with mainframes as part of my day job. Trust me, they go wrong. Most of what goes wrong is due to human/programming error at the application level, though; it's rarely the hardware or the OS's fault. Still, they aren't particularly stable because the complicated applications that run on them are chock full of bugs.
    Even zOS can have its issues as well

I've worked in a mainframe shop as an operator and have dealt with abends that are due to bugs within the OS.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Nobody is ever going to run a bleeding-edge distribution like Fedora on a mainframe anyway.

Mainframes run tried-and-proven enterprise LTS distributions.
    Mainframes can serve as hosts for virtualized OS's too you know and they can handle many thousands of VM's on one host as well as making use of the high performance IO subsystems that mainframes have.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by popper View Post
    LOL OC they are, it not like the worlds scientists are known for actually bench marking never mind optimizing and re-factorizing their code for speed, conformity and that published paper result is all they care about, after all if they need more speed they just put in another requisition for more nodes to be added to the core mainframe, that's the whole point of mainframes and the masses of cash AMD,NV, Intel etc chase year on year, how else are they going to finance that next CPU/GPU Co-processor tick/tock
    Actually my work is in operations, not research... very large-scale WWW environment... but still, issues

Leave a comment:

• popper
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    I work closely with mainframes as part of my day job. Trust me, they go wrong. Most of what goes wrong is due to human/programming error at the application level, though; it's rarely the hardware or the OS's fault. Still, they aren't particularly stable because the complicated applications that run on them are chock full of bugs.
    LOL OC they are, it not like the worlds scientists are known for actually bench marking never mind optimizing and re-factorizing their code for speed, conformity and that published paper result is all they care about, after all if they need more speed they just put in another requisition for more nodes to be added to the core mainframe, that's the whole point of mainframes and the masses of cash AMD,NV, Intel, IBM etc chase year on year, how else are they going to finance that next CPU/GPU Co-processor tick/tock
    Last edited by popper; 29 June 2012, 11:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Have you even checked how much money IBM makes from Mainframe? Mainframe is vital - it rarely goes wrong - when it does go wrong everyone knows about it

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by jvillain View Post
    Ya, I was wonder where there could possibly be a market for this with the possible exception of some old abandoned piece of hardware in the corner of a server room. But any piece of hardware like that would be better being scrapped any way. Odd that they would do this while at the same time fighting over whether to support arm.
    Have you even checked how much money IBM makes from Mainframe? Mainframe is vital - it rarely goes wrong - when it does go wrong everyone knows about it

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by jvillain View Post
    Ya, I was wonder where there could possibly be a market for this with the possible exception of some old abandoned piece of hardware in the corner of a server room. But any piece of hardware like that would be better being scrapped any way. Odd that they would do this while at the same time fighting over whether to support arm.
    Regardless of what impression you might get out of reading Phoronix and the opinions expressed in a random mailing list thread, there is no real fight about Fedora ARM. Fedora ARM has existed for years and will likely become primary architecture in the next release or two. It is just a matter of time and nothing more.

As for Fedora for mainframes, it does make sense since Fedora is upstream for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and continuation of development in a public manner is in line with free and open source development and Red Hat can incorporate feedback. There are developers out there running Fedora on mainframes to make sure the latest open source stuff works well on it and things like Anaconda changes coming up in Fedora 18 don't cause any regressions on that architecture.

Leave a comment:

• jvillain
    replied

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Does not make sense

Nobody is ever going to run a bleeding-edge distribution like Fedora on a mainframe anyway.

Mainframes run tried-and-proven enterprise LTS distributions.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Fedora "Beefy Miracle" Comes To IBM Mainframes

Fedora "Beefy Miracle" Comes To IBM Mainframes

Phoronix: Fedora "Beefy Miracle" Comes To IBM Mainframes

Fedora 17, the latest release that is cooked with an odd codename, has just been released for IBM System z...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X