No announcement yet.

MIPS Loongson 3A Benchmarks On Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't that the processor that spies on you and reports back to the central committee if you look at news outside the great firewall? All kidding aside can you really trust that processor?

Comment

On balance, it's probably more trustworthy than TxT/vPro.

Comment

Advantages?

Does the MIPS architecture have any advantage over ARM or x86?
        Does the Loongson have any advantage over a x86 or ARM?

If it is not open source, and have no advantages, why would I want a MIPS?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

If the central committee tells every comrade you have to use it in your system (so they can have a hardware backdoor into your system) you have to use it or you go to the gulag (or whatever the Chinese version is called).

Comment

Do ARM systems have: "Hardware-assisted x86 emulation" ?
            and 64bit right now?
            And the GS464 core do have a high complex superscalar, out-of-order execution architecture with a complex microcode working internals for high speed optimizations.
            In the definition of the FSF its 100% open-source software hardware because no closed source firmware is needed.
            Richard Stallman use a Longson2 based system because of this.

This means its more trustfully than Intel: "Trusted Execution Technology"

Comment

Originally posted by linux5850 View Post
              If the central committee tells every comrade you have to use it in your system (so they can have a hardware backdoor into your system) you have to use it or you go to the gulag (or whatever the Chinese version is called).
              The back-door from the CIA is called: "Intel-Trusted Execution Technology" and there gulag is called : "Guantanamo Bay Naval Base"
              I can not find any difference between the USA and China on that point but China is in fact much more open-source friendly!

Comment

The Loongson in particular has instruction extensions what allow it run x86 via QUEMU at about 75-80% of the native speed.

I also think it's a bit of a simpler design so massively multicore (tilera) is more feasible.

I would also guess the IP is a little looser. MIPS will license both designs and patents essential to any MIPS compatible design, wheras ARM only licenses design blocks.

Comment

Hmm i should have done benchmarks last time i had one of those in my hands, no, not the 3a, the older one in the yeeloong netbook...
                  This is a fine 64 bit processor. When you install the OS, you need the mipsel architecture, not mips.

Just like arm, it should find its way into the datacenter eventually. The Yeeloong netbook has no hardware blobs (even the bios is open), which is why Stallman has one. I wasn't able to install gnewsense but Debian worked fine on it.

I wonder if that deal nvidia lost in China was to put gpus in loongson based machines? They should be fine with the radeon driver i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                    Do ARM systems have: "Hardware-assisted x86 emulation" ?
                    and 64bit right now?
                    And the GS464 core do have a high complex superscalar, out-of-order execution architecture with a complex microcode working internals for high speed optimizations.
                    In the definition of the FSF its 100% open-source software hardware because no closed source firmware is needed.

This means its more trustfully than Intel: "Trusted Execution Technology"
                    Hi there maldorordiscord

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
                      Not exactly correct. There is a lot of closed source firmware (microcode really, not firmware), it's just built into the chip and doesn't have a published update mechanism. The x86 processors have built-in microcode plus a patch mechanism, which somehow makes them "less open-source".
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X