Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD To Put An ARM Core On Future Fusion APUs

Phoronix: AMD To Put An ARM Core On Future Fusion APUs

AMD will be placing an ARM Cortex-A5 on future-generation Fusion APUs as what initially they are saying is for hardware-based security measures via ARM TrustZone Technology...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But it will take AMD 6 years to do so and the result will be slower than expected.

Comment

Nooooes!

No fucking Imagination Technologies stay out of HSA! I don't want desasters like poulsbo and GPU/media chips on beagleboard again.
      It's useless. Not even reverse engineering this shit will help it. As far as I heard they change chips for every manufacturer, even if it is the same series of chips basically.
      ARM stuff combined with X86 like an ASIC might be fine but please without imgtec. And please WITH full free drivers.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Why?

If all they want is the ARM TrustZone security extensions, why don't they just port TrustZone from ARM to x86 or implement something similar?

Wouldn't it be a waste adding a whole fully-featured additional core just for the TrustZone extensions?

Also, why doesn't AMD buy an ARM license and create a bad ass ARM+Radeon system-on-a-chip solution?
        It could be like Nvidia Tegra.

By the way, HSA kinds of reminds me of AMDs earlier Torrenza initiative.

Comment

I posted some replies in my thread so I'll just copy them in one reply here:

Looks like AMD is locking down their hardware and locking out the users and costumers of the hardware.
          This isn't real security. It's a way of preventing users from access to the hardware they they paid for and preventing users from using software of they choose to use.

Some more info on this new AMD strategy to put "Trusted Computing" (meaning "we at AMD don't trust you the user or owner of the hardware you buy from us") into every AMD CPU and APU they make http://www.anandtech.com/show/6007/a...e-capabilities

This is like ACTA/SOPA in every AMD APU/CPU.

And here's a short video on what "Trusted Computing" is

LAFKON - An animated short about Trusted Computing.

or on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuI6SLFnGbQ

And finally here is what the future of computing looks like: a talk by Cory Doctorow about taking control of computers out of the hands of users
          "The coming war on general computation" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg
          Last edited by linux5850; 13 June 2012, 01:34 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

^ In-fucking-deed. This _will_ be used against us, the users, just like the so-called "Secure boot".

Wikipedia:
            Security Extensions (TrustZone): ...allowing much tighter digital rights management for controlling the use of media on ARM-based devices,[33] and preventing any unapproved use of the device....

Comment

amd apus (processors that are combinations of x86 cores and radeon simd arrays) will also integrate an arm cortex a5 processor to handle security for online transactions, banking, identity protection and drm integration.
              Fuck that!

Comment

Stop fucking with us AMD. For entire my computer related history I always buy AMD cpus. Don't make me change that.
                Oh, and other people often cosult me about pc purchases.

Comment

But... but.... AMD... YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!

Comment

Where are the AMD representatives? When are they going to explain why they are breaking the trust between us the customers/users and AMD the producer/vendor?

Comment

Working...
                    X