X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw crap. Now I?m depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Stop fucking with us AMD. For entire my computer related history I always buy AMD cpus. Don't make me change that.
      Oh, and other people often cosult me about pc purchases.
      I hope you're not threatening to buy Intel or ARM instead of AMD, because all AMD is doing is bringing feature parity with Intel and ARM. If you were refering about going Longsoon, well, that's another story. Those Longsoon3 chips sure sound like an interesting choise, if they will ever be released.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Fuck that!
        Yep, AMD has just lost my business.

Comment

i give this trustzone crap 6 months tops until is completely hacked/reverse enginiered and nullfied in linux/windows and AMD will be posting sad faces for burning a crap load of cash(and they don't exactly have lots!!! AMD CEO don't read google finance and look for AMD stocks???) for an absolutely useless feature.

so i imagine this "hackers laughing to their heart content while AMD stocks shares plumb even lower", it not enough warning the 3 billion of version of BluRAY DRM attempts getting hacked before the actual disc get in the store?? or maybe this is another useless attempt from the MAFIAA and AMD is doing it for the free cash ??

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            and i personally start to feel like a victim by amd because in the same time catalyst drop support for the hd2000-hd4000 series the radeon driver also drop improvements for hd2000-hd4000 the essential shader compiler and shader cache is hd5000-hd6000 only and because the main interrest is in openCL hd2000-hd4000 hardware will maybe never get a solution.
            Why do you even say things like this ? I'm sure you know better... the shader cache changes were for 6xx/7xx as well and nothing has been dropped from shader compiler. Maybe you're confusing shader cache with backend setup fixes and OpenCL support with graphics shader compiler ?
            Test signature

Comment

Huh ? Are you talking about the LLVM shader compiler ? That is intended for :

- graphics on SI and above

- OpenCL on Evergreen and above (since earlier GPUs don't have full HW)

- experimental for graphics on 6xx-NI (may become default in future if it works out well)

The "5000 and above" line is for OpenCL, not for graphics.
              Test signature

Comment

Yes, it is possible to implement OpenCL on HD4xxx although the performance is not good in a lot of common cases (for the reasons you mention). No we are not including that in the initial open source implementation that Tom is working on although we certainly wouldn't object to someone adding it (it is open source in a public repository after all).

Feel free to call that "bullshit" if you must although many people would call it "focusing on the hardware where we can deliver a broadly useful solution".

Are you sure the other poster you are referencing is running the LLVM shader compiler ? What was his performance like with the default compiler ? I suspect there is some other difference than the shader compiler.

Maybe we could continue these discussions to more relevent threads ? It would be really convenient if we could move the HON performance discussion back to the HON thread.
                Last edited by bridgman; 13 June 2012, 06:38 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Well about the real topic:

will that arm core be accessable in a direct way? if i remember it correctly there was a system that had a x86 and arm core and it was possible to use only the arm one to boot a tiny linux system. will that be possible here as well?

Comment

Bitcoin as a benchmark prove this is wrong.

my HD4770 do "50 MHash/s" source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18355.0

my PhenomII X4 only do "12MHash/s" @3,4ghz source: https://de.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware#AMD

this means my hd4770 is ~5 times faster than my CPU !

and you call this: "performance is not good" LOL... what a "lie"
                    Sigh...

OK, logic 101. My statement was "performance was not good in a lot of common cases". Your identification of a case where performance *is* good does not disprove my statement and certainly does not make it a lie.

i'm sure there is room for improvements. maybe the hd4000 performance grows in the future.
                    and you can ask him what is is using.
                    You are making the claim that the shader compiler is responsible for the performance difference (which contradicts all our experiences so far) then basing conclusions about our evil-ness on that claim, so perhaps you could ask him ? You only base your arguments on "facts", correct ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 13 June 2012, 06:54 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

you should not forget that even such cheap intel pentium cpus have got a faster single core speed than highend amd ones... usually games only use 1-2 core(s).

Comment

Working...
                      X