AMD 690G chipset under linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Msi K9agm2 (690g)

MoBo: MSI K9AGM2 with 690G chip; 2 HDD (SATA only).

Fedora Core 6 did install. On reboot, X server does not work.
    Ubuntu 6.0.61 desktop: Live CD working (except sound), install fails due to SATA.
    Mandriva Linux-2008 One: Live CD works (with sound); install works, reboot successful.

Comment

Originally posted by frajo View Post
      MoBo: MSI K9AGM2 with 690G chip; 2 HDD (SATA only).

Fedora Core 6 did install. On reboot, X server does not work.
      Ubuntu 6.0.61 desktop: Live CD working (except sound), install fails due to SATA.
      Mandriva Linux-2008 One: Live CD works (with sound); install works, reboot successful.
      Current Fedora is version 8.
      Current Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu is version 7.10
      On my 690G MoBo, everything works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Markore View Post
        Current Fedora is version 8.
        Current Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu is version 7.10
        On my 690G MoBo, everything works fine.
        thanks for the info; personally, i'll stick to fedora.
        but my customer that time did not want to wait; she's a newbie who just wanted any working linux coexisting with any working windows.

Comment

690G

I purchased an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI and Ubuntu Gutsy installed and ran OK. The SATA functioned, the sound chip was recognised and worked well for stereo, but the line in could not be activated negating my FM radio card. The fglrx drivers install and run in 2d, but compiz crashed every time, the onboard x1250 does not seem as well supported as the higher end video chips. I found the hard disk to be slightly slow and have had an issue with an external USB hard drive. If I try to dump a lot of files at once the USB chokes and freezes. The same device attached to an NVidia chipset board also running Gutsy has no problems. The new fglrx has no support for xvideo, but can be configured to use OpenGL for video rendering. I purchased this board thinking that with AMD's open source initiatives that all problems would quickly disappear. After two months of constantly battling the issues and limitations I pulled it out and installed a Gigabyte G33M-S2H and a core 2 duo. The system rebooted without issue, Gutsy found the new hardware and reconfigured the new GMA3100 video and correctly set up my widescreen monitor without any intervention on my part. Compiz works, the sound chip works, the USB works and the SATA hard drive flies. I will pull the 5000+ chip from the old board and get the ASUS Nvidia chipset equivalent board and use it in my daughters machine (Ubuntu Studio). I have purchased my first non AMD CPU since the days of Windows 98.

The 690G board has a lot going for it in terms of low energy use and features, but using it with Linux is too hard at this stage. I have a friend using one with Vista and his works flawlessly.

Comment

Hmmm, I am running slackware 12.1 on an Asus M2A-VM HDMI, with a custom compiled (2.6.23.1) kernel.

My notes are:
            1) Performance is good, SATA works fine.
            2) Stable as a rock. Never crashed.
            3) I have had no problems with USB .... maybe i'm not pushing it hard enough
            4) The fglrx drivers install and "work", for very limited quanities of "work". I have put in a Nvidia 7300LE to replace the onboard and is so far working much better.
            5) I don't use the line-in on the onboard sound, so I am unable to comment on it.

Comment

M2a-vm Hdmi

Thanks for replying. I think the USB issue was the device itself, it did not work properly upside down. I also added an Nvidia 8400GS, and an MAudio Revolution 5.1 and the PCI FM radio card, but they fitted so closely I was concerned that they might touch and short. Kinda defeated the purpose of an all-in-one board. It all comes down to the limitations of fglrx. I have temporarily retired the board. I will use it in my daughters system when AMD make the drivers work (Ubuntu Studio 7.10). I spat the dummy and bought a Gigabyte GA-G33m-S2H and an Intel 6750, plugged in my drives and Ubuntu started up, reconfigured X, found my widescreen monitor and correctly configured it and I got to my desktop without any intervention on my part, and everything works correctly. I had to repair some bits that the fglrx installer had changed, but that was straight forward. The Gigabyte board has a good quality sound chip that sounds as good as the Revolution, and that is saying something. The fan on the Intel is noticeably quieter than the AMD one on my X2 5000+.

As an aside the M2A-VM HDMI seems very fussy about RAM, I helped build one for a friend and it was unstable with generic DDR2 800, but worked well with Corsair (at twice the price). This was running Vista. The generic chips work fine in an Intel system.

I await newer versions of fglrx or advances in RadeonHD, I hope by the middle of the year this will all be a bad memory.

Originally posted by rugger View Post
              Hmmm, I am running slackware 12.1 on an Asus M2A-VM HDMI, with a custom compiled (2.6.23.1) kernel.

My notes are:
              1) Performance is good, SATA works fine.
              2) Stable as a rock. Never crashed.
              3) I have had no problems with USB .... maybe i'm not pushing it hard enough
              4) The fglrx drivers install and "work", for very limited quanities of "work". I have put in a Nvidia 7300LE to replace the onboard and is so far working much better.
              5) I don't use the line-in on the onboard sound, so I am unable to comment on it.

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with this chipset configuration under Fedora 8? I am thinking about buying a motherboard with the 690G/SB600 chipset and installing Fedora 8. Since I'm going to use it as a server I'm not concerned about X Server support for Sound or Video - as long as it's stable, fast and will dislay in text mode and work with a 200Gb HD I'm going to be a happy camper.

Thanks!
                Ron

Comment

Hi,

I put the board into a new case - an ANTEC NSK4480B with a 120gb sata drive and a Pioneer IDE DVD burner. The cpu is a X2 5000+ with 2gb of Corsair DDR2 800 Twin2X also called XMS2. Running the latest fglrx and a 1280x1024 LCD it functions flawlessly as my wife's office computer under Ubuntu 7.10. All of my issues revolved around a widescreen monitor and PCI FM radio card that are now attached to my new setup. It ran before with 2x320gb SATA2 hard discs. For what you want it will be fine. If you used a 45w CPU (BE-2350) and a Western Digital Green Power hard drive and an 80PLUS certified power supply it would sip very little electricity and stay very cool and quiet. Even a standard X2 CPU is only going to add 20w. The ASUS M2A-VM HDMI is a very energy efficient board, this article is most interesting.

Use quality ram, cheap stuff might not work.

Originally posted by rmerts View Post
                  Has anyone had any experience with this chipset configuration under Fedora 8? I am thinking about buying a motherboard with the 690G/SB600 chipset and installing Fedora 8. Since I'm going to use it as a server I'm not concerned about X Server support for Sound or Video - as long as it's stable, fast and will dislay in text mode and work with a 200Gb HD I'm going to be a happy camper.

Thanks!
                  Ron

Comment

I am having an Asus barebond P2-M2A690G, which is also integrated with the 690G/SB600 chipset. It is running Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty.
                    I was having a problem with the USB mass storage. I have two external USB harddrives. The system hung randomly when I copied large file(s) (10G or more) from one drive to another.
                    I googled a few days and found out there may be something related to USB IAA bug on SB600.
                    Luckily, I found a patch for this bug on Kerneltrap.

Thirty years ago, Linus Torvalds was a 21 year old student at the University of Helsinki when he first released the Linux Kernel. His announcement started, “I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional…)”. Three decades later, the top 500 supercomputers are all running Linux, as are over 70% of all smartphones. Linux is clearly both big and professional.

After compiling the new patched kernel, the bug is gone. So far, the system haven't locked up when transferring large files via USB mass storage.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks bulyst! It helped me to fix my problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X