Linux and AMD FX 8120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AleksK View Post
    It worked. So this is a problem with ACPI?
    Worked? Really? Glad to have helped

I happen to have Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, with athlon II x4-630 currently.

And here is magic...

It does not boot with C1E on.

Not Linux, and not Windows - all hang.
    If you install windows with C1E enabled, it will boot. But if you switch it even once to off and reboot, it will never boot back with C1E enabled.

Problem? I think Gigabyte. But they are not great with Linux, they are highly pro-Windows. My next, next to next and all following motherboards will not be from Gigabyte, be sure.

1st) This C1E, which I quickly figured out
    2nd) Wireless keyboard which is not detected (or, when later discovered - any keyboard), when inserted into USB-Hub and not directly. What it took? 2 Weeks explaining it to german office. 1 Week explaining it to taiwan office. FOUR videos for them. Then, 2 weeks they trying to fix it. And left BIOS in beta stage. And it still sometimes not working.
    3rd) BIOS Image as .exe file. If you find Gigabyte reference how to update your Motherboard BIOS when using Linux - be sure, I wrote it.

Anyway.. you don?t need c1e for hibernation or powernow.
    Last edited by crazycheese; 11 January 2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      Worked? Really? Glad to have helped
      Thank you.
      I wrote to tech support Gigabyte. They replied that this motherboard only supports AMD FX 8100. So, there may be problems with AMD FX 81xx. It's funny, I've never seen on sale AMD FX 8100.
      I asked them about their plans to update the BIOS. I wonder what they will answer me.

Comment

Planning to buy Gigabyte mobo. Fortunately, I read this thread. Same with crazycheeze, looks like my next mobo will not be gigabyte.

BTW, what's good mobo for linux? Asrock?

Comment

Asrock. Indeed. But you might not be able to use the hardware monitoring from Linux (with lm-sensors). If you like to have working hardware monitoring, you'd better buy an Asus board with AMI BIOS. The M4N68T LE V2 is working perfectly with Linux, though it is slightly outdated with its limited front side bus (4GB/s including the graphics card port) and lack of PCIe 2.0. But any other board with a modern Intel/AMD/nVidia chipset should also work well.

Comment

*falcon punch*
            You can read more about the AMD C1E setting at Linux Weekly News {lwn}. From the article, this paragraph is of special interest:
            ... by the dreaded ATI chipset timer wreckage. On those which have the problem, the box needs help from the keyboard to continue working.
            Other than that C1E problem and really rather big ignorance to Linux userbase in general (they simply ignored usb keyboard via usb hub in BIOS problem, till understood it has actually nothing to do with linux), I can say nothing good/bad about Gigabyte.
            Don?t tell "I should have buyed Gigabyte, that Xxxx is such a crap" please, I?m no weather meteorogist
            I had asrock back in E5300 days, and its usage was rather very unproblematic.
            Last edited by crazycheese; 12 January 2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AleksK View Post
              Thank you.
              I wrote to tech support Gigabyte. They replied that this motherboard only supports AMD FX 8100. So, there may be problems with AMD FX 81xx. It's funny, I've never seen on sale AMD FX 8100.
              I asked them about their plans to update the BIOS. I wonder what they will answer me.
              Has russian HQ replied? Because everyone, except taiwainese HQ is incompetent 1st level support.
              Wasn?t FX8100 for OEM only? Also, if it boots even single bulldozer, all of them should boot. Or do they have problem getting AGESA running?

I wonder if MSI (Microstar) still in good form, used to be one of the finest brands in Abit aera.

Comment

Working...
              X