Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D LLVMpipe On The Sandy Bridge Extreme

Phoronix: Gallium3D LLVMpipe On The Sandy Bridge Extreme

A thorough performance look at the Intel Core i7 3960X "Sandy Bridge" Extreme Edition processor will be published very soon, but in this article are some benchmarks of using Gallium3D's LLVMpipe driver on this six-core processor with Hyper Threading.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why the hell did you compare with catalyst?

Surely using radeon with the same graphics stack would heave been a better comparison for the software driver?
    Yet another useless comparison in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
      Why the hell did you compare with catalyst?

Surely using radeon with the same graphics stack would heave been a better comparison for the software driver?
      Yet another useless comparison in my opinion!
      Because Catalyst utilizes the hardware ~100%, which highlights the performance difference between a GPU and a CPU. Radeon doesn't even come close.

Yet another useless opinion on the comparison!

Comment

Yes but the fps numbers are never going to be similar if the graphics stack is different.
        The openGL implementation is completely different, they share no libraries and so its an unfair comparison.

Comment

Gaming benchmarks? "Is the game playable (>30fps min and preferably >60fps)?" That's the question that should be answered by this article and the radeon comparison is baseless and only serves to make the graphs more difficult to read

Comment

@danwood76 I think you don't get the point.

The catalyst numbers are there as a reference, catalyst performance numbers remain pretty stable, so comparing new mesa drivers, llvmpipe or whatever graphics driver vs catalyst makes a lot of sense, you can see how well it works against a stable driver implementation. Which one wins doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
            X