AMD FX-4100 Bulldozer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medallish View Post
    Are you sure the FX-4000 series will be an 8Core/4Module CPU with 2 modules turned off?
    It most probably is, at least for the first batch.
    From what I've read production costs for one die per series would be higher (especially with the first production runs, if you factor in that yield improvements would have to be duplicated across all dies), plus they can sell chips that don't meet the QA requirements for the top-of-the-line instead of just binning them.
    It's a trick that's been used for a while. I think the first Athlon II were actually Phenom II with L3 cache cut off. Phenom II x2 could also have extra cores unlocked. Provided the motherboard allows it, it might still be possible with BD.
    There's no guarantee though, and there might be some trade-offs (higher vcore for stable operation, lower overclockability etc.)

@blackshard: power draw from the FX-4100 is better than Deneb. Ditto for FX-6100 vs Thuban Link
    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 19 October 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      It's a trick that's been used for a while. I think the first Athlon II were actually Phenom II with L3 cache cut off.
      It's much older than that.

486SX was just a 486DX with the FPU disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        It's much older than that.

486SX was just a 486DX with the FPU disabled.
        Meh you got me there... I should have kept the examples to disabled cores

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          The facts people are missing is this:
          The CPU is a dual core, but has the physical elements making it seem like a quad core, but it really isn't.
          Actually the fact is that there is no industry accepted definition of what a core is comprised of.

Comment

Wow... talk about sucking ass. I would like AMD to come up with an awesome new cpu architecture as much as the next guy, but this is a really terrible one. 3,6GHz with 3,8GHz "turbo"? 200 extra MHz are sure to make a huge difference. </sarcasm> This would be an awesome CPU if it cost 70? and had a 65W (or less) TDP.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              70? maybe amd lower the price... and TDP you don't know the real consuming yet.
              My 125W TDP FX-5180 has no problems eating 129W with light loads.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                My 125W TDP FX-5180 has no problems eating 129W with light loads.
                Wow an exclusive new CPU series?!

@Q, power draw chart linked a few posts ago.

@devius, nothing wrong with the architecture. The first iteration though... Not what AMD made it up to be. Very rough.
                Still deserves better treatment than what people have been giving it till now. Let's be honest here.

I'm getting one for the prospect of poking around that new puppy.
                Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 19 October 2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  Wow an exclusive new CPU series?!

@Q, power draw chart linked a few posts ago.
                  Errr too much multitasking, FX-8150.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Errr too much multitasking, FX-8150.
                    See! That CPU rips through highly threaded loads, you can't keep up!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      i do not understand the word "chit"
                      Chit chatting is basically small talk / light informal conversation
                      Last edited by deanjo; 19 October 2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X