Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overclocking a Conroe and Using Speedstep/cpufreq.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking a Conroe and Using Speedstep/cpufreq.

Word up.

When I dont overclock my cpu (2.4 ghz) cpufreq works fine (with the ondemand governor) but when I overclock the cpu to 3.0 ghz in the bios, cpu freq doesnt work. They neccessary sys files arent in /sys/devices/system/cpu0/ etc etc. I had orginally been using the acpi cpu freq driver, but the "Enhanced Speedstep" inst working either (gonna try it without an option, but I doubt itll work)

Does anybody know anything about this? Ive been told it works in windows.

slackware 11 with kernel 2.6.21-ck2/conroe e6600(2.4 default)/ evga 680i motherboard

Thanks homies.

ps fuck solaris

Same story here
    I have Core 2 Duo E8200
    In my two installs, Xubuntu 8.04 and OpenSuse 11.0 rc1, cpufreq works ok(at least in lowering frequency part, not sure about voltage) at default settings. But as soon as I up my FSB it doesn't.
    No cpufreq driver, no modules for acpi loaded and so on.

I know for a fact that motherboard is not turning off SpeedStep and that cpu is stable at higher frequencies. In Windows it works without problem.

It seems to be an artificial limit that checks cpu frequency.

Btw back when /proc/cpuinfo reported default frequency instead of current, there were no problems. I had Athlon overclocked to 2600, cpuinfo said I was still at 2000 and lowered multiplier to 1000 (1300) real) without problem

Comment

Do you use Gigabyte boards?

Comment

Yes, Gigabyte EX38 here
        Why?

Comment

Well I guess that behaviour changed with a BIOS update a while ago - one of the first GA-G33-DSR3 bios revisions could lower speed - EIST has to be enabled of course.

Comment

Obviously EIST is working in dual-booted windows.

There is another glitch with my system. Apparently in my quest to get a modern PC with 4GB RAM, I stumbled upon a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/224404
            Combination of 64bit linux, 4GB or more memory and this Intel chipset make using fglrx impossible. Found that out after three days of fighting and 5 different distros. I always thought that in Linux I was free of 4GB limit, but there you have it...
            Again, obviously, it works perfect in XP64

Comment

Working...
            X