No announcement yet.

A Linux Program To Overclock Your AMD CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's good if you have a K10. I thought this new program would fix that but it seems that K8L is a very small subset of the K8 family. Too bad.
    This program modifies the HWPSTATE tables in the model-specific registers, just like k10ctl. The nice thing about this interface is that P-state transitions are not managed by software, but done completely in hardware. This is much more robust than CnQ on the K8 and the implementation in the OS is a lot simpler (basically, the driver merely provides hints to the CPU which P-state it wants to switch to). It also makes stuff like the turbo mode possible, by overriding the software hint.

The later Turions are a rather strange mix between K8 and K10 and support HWPSTATE just like the K10, while the CPU core(s) still are K8. Current Turions are K10 all over, though.

Point is: overclocking/undervolting on the K10 from Linux isn't something new like the article states.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      Point is: overclocking/undervolting on the K10 from Linux isn't something new like the article states.
      Sorry, but I'm feeling a bit sad about this. First of all, the article doesn't say that K10 overclocking/undervolting with Linux was not possible befor. K8L tweaking is still a news.

Anyway it just says that there's a new utility and talks about its abilities.

I'm grateful to Michael that discovered my thread and put it as a news, I didn't ask for and this was a real surprise for me.

Comment

Working...
      X