New tool for undervolt/overclock AMD K8L and K10 processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
    Well this is a known problem of microsoft windows scheduler. It caused the infamous "Phenom I cool&quite Bug", which caused single threaded apps slowdowns. Ironically that "bug" was caused by the more refined phenom power management, and was addressed by AMD in Phenom II processors forcing all the cores to have the same frequency, even if that is not necessary.

Read here, if you want to go in details:

Anyway, I suggest to use the -CM switch to check if your powernow driver is scaling frequency per-core: usually utilities claim that this is being done, but actually the hardware do the job in a different way. -CM switch will tell you the current pstate for each core. If they switch pstate concurrently, your powernow driver is not changing frequency per-core.
    TurionPowerControl -CM confirms (even with the scaler daemon killed) that stressing the system with 1, 2, 3 or 4 threads makes the powernow driver scale only the appropriate core count (as was reported by kde system monitor).

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
      TurionPowerControl -CM confirms (even with the scaler daemon killed) that stressing the system with 1, 2, 3 or 4 threads makes the powernow driver scale only the appropriate core count (as was reported by kde system monitor).
      Well, it's good to know then

Last time I checked on a live distro (fedora 13) with vanilla kernel I found the opposite, at least it's what I remember

Comment

I got an idea - will it be useful for you to have remote access to two of my pc's when I'm not at them with let's say teamviewer. I can load up whatever distribution you need. Got an AMD PhenomII x2-550 and Turion QL62 around for the purpose.

Comment

Hi rewind. That's a good idea but at the moment K10 support is going to be stable thanks to the feedback from the community. It still has some bugs (as you can see above, PVI/SVI voltage selection mode is not really well understood by me at the moment).
          K8L support is stable and working pretty well.

If your Phenom II processor is installed in an AM2 board (not AM2+ or AM3), it could be useful to do some development and testing on such a machine because I may try to sort out that PVI problem.
          Otherwise at the moment I'm pretty confident that the current tpc version is functioning really well even on K10 processors and support for k10 features are near from being completed and bugfree.

Comment

The PhenomII is in DFI Lanparty 790GX-M2RS, which is a AM2+/AM2 board. But if it is essential I'll make the effort to find a board with AM2 support only, I have access to some hardware in a friend's store. I think that it will be difficult to find one since almost all hardware manufacturers enabled their AM2 boards with AM2+ support in their latest BIOSes.
            Actually I didn't got the time to test the tool myself, but the idea to have an easy tool for over/underclock cpu is important. There is so much PhenomII's that easily stay stable with more than 30% overclock with default voltage and become virtually silent with the appropriate voltage settings in idle. It is always useful to use that extra CPU power when appropriate.

Comment

Well don't worry rewind, thank you for your very nice offering but I don't want to bore you for a problem which will require just a couple of hours of coding and testing.
              Reading again the specifications I'm realizing the error I did and will correct it as soon as possible. Maybe I'll ask the community for testing a "special" version before considering the feature stable and release a newer version.

Comment

Actually I got an AM2 board in one colleague /AM2 only/ - Biostar NF61S Micro AM2 SE. The only problem is that we have only one Sempron for it. If it can help, I can ask my colleague to run whatever live distribution on it and give you remote access to test your code.

Comment

Originally posted by rewind View Post
                  Actually I got an AM2 board in one colleague /AM2 only/ - Biostar NF61S Micro AM2 SE. The only problem is that we have only one Sempron for it. If it can help, I can ask my colleague to run whatever live distribution on it and give you remote access to test your code.
                  If it is a K10 based sempron it could be useful, but I think the that the game isn't worth the candle: I would be sorry in bothering your colleague to setup a machine for such a little job

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                    If it is a K10 based sempron it could be useful, but I think the that the game isn't worth the candle: I would be sorry in bothering your colleague to setup a machine for such a little job
                    I think it's exactly K10 based, I'll check again tomorrow and will write you back.

Comment

• Damn, no edit.
                      It's a K10 based Sempron. Finally had the time to try TPC and it's AWESOME! I can do ANYTHING that is possible with PhenomMRSTweaker when I was last on Windows. Even wrote a small bash script to overlock the CPU on P-state 0 and to lower the voltage on P-state 3 easier. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X