No announcement yet.

Processor/MB help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I bump this to ask a question on processors? If the OP wishes to switch the topic back, it's fine with me as I don't want to crap on the thread!

I am just wondering if one had to stay with LGA 775 socket, which cpu would you get (for prices now).

I have the option of new - E3300
    used - Q6600 - $100
    used - Q9400 - $150 (that's if I can get the seller down)

I'm inclined to think the Q6600 is the only one worth the price but what do you think?

I have parts for a 2nd machine and just need the cpu and maybe a video card. The mobo is an Asus P45. My current machine is also LGA 775 w/ a Q6600 cpu. I prefer to have the two machines more or less similar in power so I thought a Q6600 for $100 is a better deal, overall, than a E3300 for $50. Right?

I would like to upgrade to a newer architecture, whether AMD or Intel, but I have all the compatible parts, RAM etc., so I thought it's cheaper to just get a cpu and voila, a 2nd machine!

What do you recommend?

Comment

Try to get a used cpu, a new intel cpu is stupid to buy this year. I prefer usually E8400 over Q9300 because of the higher base speed. E3300 well is a celeron with small cache, not ideal, maybe for oc. Next year it will be the year of sandy bridge cpus until bulldozer comes out - much more expensive than your sample cpus but much more powerfull too.

Comment

Working...
      X