Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueCrypt 7.0 Released With Hardware-Accelerated AES

Phoronix: TrueCrypt 7.0 Released With Hardware-Accelerated AES

TrueCrypt, one of the popular open-source programs for on-the-fly encryption, is out now with version 7.0. Most notably, the TrueCrypt 7.0 release provides hardware-accelerated AES support...

VIA cpus? Really? Anyone who cares about performance wouldn't get one of those...

Comment

It's misleading to refer to TrueCrypt as open source. It is distributed with source, but you aren't able to do anything with it, and it's so poorly written that no distros will touch it. See for example

Accurately mentioning this problem whenever they get press is the only thing likely to get them to fix this problem. I use ubuntu's included disk encryption because I don't want to worry about whether TrueCrypt decides to stop development.

Comment

Looks like their site's down at the moment. :\

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
          Looks like their site's down at the moment. :\
          nm... it's back up.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
            VIA cpus? Really? Anyone who cares about performance wouldn't get one of those...
            Their AES performance tends to be very good, and it's not away from the main CPU like with AES-NI..

Comment

truecrypt really doesn't do anything useful that you can't do better with proper open source choices, like dmcrypt/luks.

And supporting hardware acceleration only on intel platforms? Sounds like they're catering strictly to the wintel/dell crowd who can't even figure out how to turn the computer on without calling tech support.

It would be really nice to see a dmcrypt/luks hardware acceleration using gpgpu. Any cheap GPU would be awesome for this and you'd end up back again with the disk itself being the bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                truecrypt really doesn't do anything useful that you can't do better with proper open source choices, like dmcrypt/luks.

And supporting hardware acceleration only on intel platforms? Sounds like they're catering strictly to the wintel/dell crowd who can't even figure out how to turn the computer on without calling tech support.

It would be really nice to see a dmcrypt/luks hardware acceleration using gpgpu. Any cheap GPU would be awesome for this and you'd end up back again with the disk itself being the bottleneck.
                Actually the disk itself is still the bottleneck.
                And also AMD cpus have no specific instructions for hardware accelerated AES (but still are the most efficient doing that in software).

I agree about gpu being so powerful they can deal very well with encryption

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                  Actually the disk itself is still the bottleneck.
                  And also AMD cpus have no specific instructions for hardware accelerated AES (but still are the most efficient doing that in software).

I agree about gpu being so powerful they can deal very well with encryption
                  Depends on your CPU, depends on the encryption, even depends on the disk. In general, those machine in greatest NEED of encryption have the least CPU to deal with it and have the least need for high end graphics (and so the greatest excess of GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    It is a lot easier to use, has a simple gui for easy creation of encrypted containers, partitions and drives, supports multiple cores!! and AES-NI, no need to create multiple dmcrypt-devices and a raid above them, to use multiple cores (on slower systems with fast disks/ssds without hadrware acceleration (VIA Eden, AES-NI, ... ) especially on older dual/quadcore-systems where cpu can be a real bottleneck for system-performance if you have your system encrypted, and want copy data on other fast encrypted discs (internal sata/sas or external e-sata/usb3).

From the performance-point of view:

My old p4 1.73 in my notebook got 44mb/s with dmcrypt and truecrypt, so copying data to an external encrypted drive was about 20mb/s and the cpu was completely used, lowering the processes priority only made it slower, so copying data, extracting big achives and stuff like that always meant i had to way until it is done and go on with my work then, no real background-thing.

Now I get ~570mb/s on a single core (i7 620M [dualcore]) with dmcrypt [aes-ni-support] and with truecrypt ~1600-1700mb/s on both cores.

Without AES-NI truecrypt (6.0) got about 250mb/s while dmcrypt on one core got about 100mb/s [older kernel/dmcrypt, think 110-120mb/s would be possible on an up2date kernel/dmcrypt]

My benchmarks:
                    Truecrypt 7.0 AES-NI Benchmark on Linux
                    dmcrypt AES-NI Benchmark

I will keep my dmcrypt for the operating system (since truecrypt for linux-system encryption isn't supported) and use truecrypt for external drives.
                    Another thing, truecrypt runs on windows, linux, mac, solaris, ... , especially for external harddrives you want to use on more than operating system, sticking with dmcrypt just doesnt work.

AMD does not have any hardware acceleration for encryption yet, so how should they support something which doesn't even exist in buyable processors ? But proposed something for their next generation, which for shure will be integrated in dmcrypt and truecrypt too.

Do you have any benchmarks what actual gpus can achieve ?

Comment

Working...
                    X