No announcement yet.

Gentoo first to work on Cell processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo first to work on Cell processor?

Just reading the latest GWN, and noticed this.

Gentoo is the first community Linux distribution to actively work on supporting the new CELL processor IBM has launched with Sony and Toshiba. This processor is used in the PlayStation 3, and in a number of other products. The CELL processor has a general purpose PowerPC core which runs at 3.2 GHz. It also has eight special purpose cores, which are basically cache-less processors that are great for processing streams and parallel work. The CELL is also called a 'broadband engine' and has a peak bandwidth of 204.8 GB/sec for intra-chip transfers (between cores, memory and I/O controllers).

Nice to see them on top of things... Would this even benefit the community short term though? I mean... we are not going to be able to pick up a Cell processor as easily as Sony, unless I am wrong.

Still good to see some devs thinking far ahead.

Originally posted by Rob Williams View Post
    Just reading the latest GWN, and noticed this.

Nice to see them on top of things... Would this even benefit the community short term though? I mean... we are not going to be able to pick up a Cell processor as easily as Sony, unless I am wrong.

Still good to see some devs thinking far ahead.
    Well...

1) While I think a PS3 is going to be an insanely overpriced console, it still probably makes for an excellent Linux workstation, depending on how useable the CELL BBE is going to be.

2) It's my understanding IBM's looking to sell workstations based of the CELL design- not the same thing as what they sold to Lenovo, but more like the RS6000 machine. If they do this, it makes some sense- besides, it's not a hard thing to do to pick up the CELL's core CPU capabilities; it's little more than a PPC chip with 8 other specialized coprocessors working in unison.

Comment

Mercury Systems does put out a Dual Proc Cell 1u server. and it looks pretty sweet. let me find that link. of Course there is no price listed on the site. so i am imagining I will have to wait a bit for Cell to become affordable.

here is the link...

Dont Drool too much

Regards SMP-FREAK!

Comment

Hmm...

...so now compiling will take 2-3 times as long?

Comment

Half the fun of compiling is testing your patience :P

Comment

Working...
          X