Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phenom II X6 1055T or Phenom II X4 965 BE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenom II X6 1055T or Phenom II X4 965 BE ?

Hi guys,

I'm still deciding which CPU will be part of my new system.
    Better a 6 cores with 2,8 GHz but Turbo 3.3 GHz (and 6 MB cache) or a 4 cores 3.4 GHz speed each and same amount of cache?
    The latter consumes 125 W and X6 cores 95?

I feel the X4 is more balanced, but still it'd consume a bit more of power being a little slower.
    On the contrary the X6 has 6 cores (6 cores!) but 2.8 GHz, still with turbo technology (how many 1,2 or more?) at least 1 core would go to 3.3 GHz...

Please suggest!

Cheers,

I'd take the hexacore. Even in single-threaded stuff it's just about equal to the x4, thanks to the turbo.

It's also a newer part, so might have some new instructions. Not 100% sure about that though.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I'd take the hexacore. Even in single-threaded stuff it's just about equal to the x4, thanks to the turbo.

It's also a newer part, so might have some new instructions. Not 100% sure about that though.
      Thanks, this is what I was thinking about.
      Btw, any link to the official spec about this new AMD technology (just to check)?

Even because I don't think I'll use the X4 at 100% 4 cores a lot, plus, even if I'd use this way I guess that:
      on same MT process
      6x 2.8 > 4x 3.4
      But if we're talking about multi process I fear the cache would do it in favour of the X4...

Any other comment/suggestion?

Cheers,

Comment

More raw speed is always good for games, when you use gentoo or compile much then more cores are interesting. That's why Intel will sell a i5-680 soon - 3.60 ghz (+turbo 3.83 ghz). Many games do not need more than 2 cores but scale well with higher frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          More raw speed is always good for games, when you use gentoo or compile much then more cores are interesting. That's why Intel will sell a i5-680 soon - 3.60 ghz (+turbo 3.83 ghz). Many games do not need more than 2 cores but scale well with higher frequency.
          My point is, how many cores out of 6 are able to reach 3.3 GHz?

Cheers,

Comment

It will use turbo when 50% of the cores are idle. Basically only the 1090T is interesting but too expensive.

Comment

Depends, for a hexa 1090T is still cheap.

Comment

It will use turbo when 50% of the cores are idle. Basically only the 1090T is interesting but too expensive.
                I think your the first person that I have heard refer to the 1090T as to expensive. Performance per dollar, it pretty much wipes the board clean.

Comment

300 € for the cpu would be at least 50 € too much.

Comment

Sorry don't get, why only 1090T would be interesting and not 1055T?

Comment

Working...
                    X