Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athlon II X3 425 On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Athlon II X3 425 On Linux

Earlier this week AMD announced the Phenom II X6 processors that are designed to offer "unbeatable" performance thanks to its six physical processing cores while not being priced too high. However, should you not be interested in the latest high-end CPUs, there still is a plethora of lower-end AMD parts on the market. One of AMD's low-priced offerings is the Athlon II X3 425, which is a triple-core AM3 processor that can easily overclock past 3GHz and is priced to sell at around $70 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Or just spend a few more dollars and get the x4. I have the Athlon II x4 and it is great, overclocked to 3.3 and it cost $100. Not bad.

Comment

Why there are no compiling tests?

Comment

What nobody heard of ACC in BIOS?

Comment

How's the CPU power consumption wise? I know the tdp is 95W but how does it fare when idle and when on full load? Read it idles on about 107W which is quite high, think my E5200 takes less juice (one core less, but still, it should shut down cores if it doesn't need em).

Comment

Originally posted by filip007 View Post
            What nobody heard of ACC in BIOS?
            Indeed.

You got a CACYC there, a Deneb. Does yours unlock? Potential Phenom II! Dooo it.

By the way, I also have a CACYC Athlon II X3 425, but it does not unlock. Also have a Athlon X2 5000+ CACZC, which unlocks, POSTs, but does not boot. I used to love DAAMIT, but now i hate them

At least it was only $70 for the chip and a Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2. Gotta love Silicon Valley (or rather, Fry's Electronics.)

Comment

Well unlocking a x3 to x4 is more likely to work than a x2 to x4, but i would not buy it when you really NEED the extra cores. athlon x4 is so slow that even a x4 is slower than an i3-530 in many benchmarks (maybe it compiles a bit faster). when you need to raise vcore to oc then you basically lose money in the long term as you need (much) more power and the cpu cooler has to work harder. but of course it is fun checking out the max freqs of a cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well unlocking a x3 to x4 is more likely to work than a x2 to x4, but i would not buy it when you really NEED the extra cores. athlon x4 is so slow that even a x4 is slower than an i3-530 in many benchmarks (maybe it compiles a bit faster). when you need to raise vcore to oc then you basically lose money in the long term as you need (much) more power and the cpu cooler has to work harder. but of course it is fun checking out the max freqs of a cpu.
                Of course. But don't worry, I approach it from the perspective of... "If I can unlock, great! Free bonus. If not, oh well."

Yes, the i3 is quite nice. But you're not going to get it for $40 and a motherboard for $30 (that's what mine worked out to, but that's because I have a Fry's nearby. They often sell AMD CPUs with a motherboard for less than other stores sell the CPU alone. They also have discounts on Intel CPUs, but generally, the AMD sales are better. They're a regional electronics chain based in the United States, for those who do not live near one.)

Comment

No way to edit your posts? Anyway, I guess what I mean to say is the i3 better damn well be faster, cause it's much more expensive. At least for me; not sure about those who have to pay closer to MSRP.

Comment

I was quite surprised of this being posted here. Not too long ago the Strider PSU (also in my rig) was tested by Phoronix.
                    Then something on-topic:
                    I was able to unlock my Athlon (same as in the article, of course) through my BIOS (an ASUS mobo). Got it for €68 up here in Finland. Nothing bad to say, really. IMHO, it was really worth it. 6MB L3 cache and the Deneb chip, nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X