• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't find ffplay on my repository.

I use the commands:
    $ mplayer 00040.MTS
    $ mplayer -lavdopts threads=2 00040.MTS
    $ mplayer-mt 00040.MTS
    but the final result regarding the use of the cpu are always the same.

I use the packages available on Debian.

Note:
    It's a free video at 17 mbps available fontana di sanremo (notte) 17mbps.
    It's only a test video about an owner of a Sony HDR-CX550VE.
    [Sony HDR-CX550VE e altre VCR] Video Sample e Opinioni

Comment

Using
      mplayer-mt -lavdopts threads=2 00040.MTS
      i obtain:
      75 %
      30 %
      a little better then before.

Comment

git clone git://gitorious.org/~astrange/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt.git

Here you can download ffmpeg-mt, which contains ffplay (you will need to build it from source). Cpu usage is still strange, have you tried with other videos?

Comment

Ok, I've built especially for you ffmpeg-mt. On the systems I tried it works as expected (load balanced between the cores).
          You can get it at http://www.mattea.info/ffmpeg/ffmpeg...21-1_amd64.deb
          Everything is installed in /usr/local so it doesn't conflict with system packages. After installation, you should run "ldconfig" as root to detect the new libraries. To play a file, use ffplay -threads N filename.

Comment

Thanks for the deb.

Unfortunately the problem remain the same, also ffmpeg work worst respect mplayer and mplayer-mt.
            During the start, the video don't run immediately (as happen instead using both versions of mplayer).
            Also the video result a lot less fluent respect mplayer.

Comment

You're not lucky
              Here (http://www.mattea.info/mplayer/mplay...22-1_amd64.deb) you can download a deb of mplayer-mt (latest svn). As always, it installs everything in /usr/local, so you'll need to call it using /usr/local/bin/mplayer. Could you try using it with these options:
              -vc ffh264 -vo null -benchmark -nosound -lavdopts threads=N
              and use system monitor to see if all your cores are used? On my system it happened that since one core was more than enough to play the file (Phenom II 940 BE) not all the cores were equally used with normal playback even if I set threads to 4, but with the benchmark option every core jumped at 90%.

Comment

Thanks.
                $ /usr/local/bin/mplayer -vc ffh264 -vo null -benchmark -nosound -lavdopts threads=2 00040.MTS
                MPlayer SVN-r31054-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing 00040.MTS.
                TS file format detected.
                VIDEO H264(pid=4113) NO AUDIO! NO SUBS (yet)! PROGRAM N. 1
                FPS seems to be: 25.000000
                ================================================== ========================
                Forced video codec: ffh264
                Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
                Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
                Audio: no sound
                Starting playback...
                Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
                VO: [null] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
                V: 23.3 1117/1117 39% 0% 0.0% 0 0

BENCHMARKs: VC: 17.519s VO: 0.002s A: 0.000s Sys: 0.360s = 17.882s
                BENCHMARK%: VC: 97.9735% VO: 0.0129% A: 0.0000% Sys: 2.0136% = 100.0000%

Exiting... (End of file)
                I obtain 175 %.

So i tried even the mplayer (not mt) present on the system:
                mplayer -vc ffh264 -vo null -benchmark -nosound -lavdopts threads=2 00040.MTS
                and i obtain the same result.

While i run the video the cpu is below 100 % but in both case (mplayer or mplayer-mt) both cpus are use more equally (in precedence i read the wrong line on top).
                I don't see difference with mplayer-mt.

$ /usr/local/bin/mplayer -lavdopts threads=2 00040.MTS
                MPlayer SVN-r31054-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team

Playing 00040.MTS.
                TS file format detected.
                VIDEO H264(pid=4113) AUDIO A52(pid=4352) NO SUBS (yet)! PROGRAM N. 1
                FPS seems to be: 25.000000
                [VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
                [VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
                [VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
                [VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
                [VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
                Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
                Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
                Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
                AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 448.0 kbit/29.17% (ratio: 56000->192000)
                Selected audio codec: [ffac3] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AC-3)
                AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
                Starting playback...
                Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
                VO: [x11] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
                [swscaler @ 0xe40aa0]using unscaled yuv420p -> bgra special converter
                A: 23.4 V: 23.3 A-V: 0.088 ct: 4.381 1117/1117 14% 17% 0.8% 12 0

Exiting... (End of file)
                $ xvinfo
                X-Video Extension version 2.2
                screen #0
                no adaptors present
                Note:
                However kbios i'm interested how you have build that packages, there is some link that could i see?
                The only package where i'm more confortable are archlinux packages ...
                When i build simple packages on debian or ubuntu i use checkconfig.

Comment

The basic mplayer has support for multiple threads/cores if the video is encoded using slices, so that might be the reason you don't see a difference: if you try with a video which doesn't use them, mplayer-mt results should be vastly superior.

About my packages: I have never heard of checkconfig, they were built with checkinstall (./configure; make; sudo checkinstall).

Comment

Yes is checkinstall i'm write wrong the command.

Thanks.

Comment

Well i would not use checkinstall, especially when i have got so nice scripts for that

but i also did some benchmarking - git-mt was patched to support vc1 too but it does not seem to do anything.

maybe more cores should be tested...

100 mb m2ts h264:

mplayer -vo null -benchmark -nosound -lavdopts threads=X testfile

mplayer svn 1 thread: 11.7s
                      mplayer svn 2 threads: 7.9s
                      mplayer git-mt 1 thread: 11.9s
                      mplayer git-mt 2 threads: 7.0s

100 mb m2ts vc1 (no diff visable):

mplayer svn 1 thread: 18.2s
                      mplayer svn 2 threads: 18.2s
                      mplayer git-mt 1 thread: 18.2s
                      mplayer git-mt 2 threads: 18.2s

Comment

Working...
                      X