No announcement yet.

Which power must be a cpu for HD 1080p?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which power must be a cpu for HD 1080p?

I would like known, in the eventuality is impossible use driver open for a fluent display of video hd 1080p, which power must be a cpu for this task.

Thanks.

Depends on the bitrate you want to decode and how good the codec can work multithreaded. mplayer default only uses 1 core, you would need the mt git branch. In general you should not buy cpus with less than 3 ghz dual (2.93 is also ok). A fast dual is certainly better than a lower clocked quad for simpler codecs.

Comment

Thanks.

What about a 17 Mbps as bitrate?

Comment

A Phenom II can play BluRay rips without any problems, even on a single core. It runs into trouble with some really heavy stuff (like the infamous birds sequence). If you get a multi-core mplayer, most modern dual-core processors will be fine.

Comment

Good.

Thanks.

Comment

My Athlon II 235e (2.7 Ghz dual) handles 15-18 mbps 1080p video just fine. If you can use multithreading, a 605e (2.3 Ghz quad) will play more or less any video out there.

Comment

Good.

I have two old amd processor so i can see only 720p video (while 1080p,even local on hdd aren't perfect), when i play some video (i'm using debian squeeze 64 bit) and I take a look at top I don't see difference in the use of the processors between mplayer-mt and mplayer.
              I have something as:
              85 % first core
              25 % second core
              Is it normal?

Comment

No, it isn't. Usually there should be a core which is slightly more used than the others (the one that also runs Xorg, for example) and the other more ore less similar. So, in your case, 55% and 45% would seem reasonable. Have you tried using ffplay directly? Just a thought.

Comment

Also (can't edit) I'm not sure whether mplayer-mt will automatically use all your cores. Maybe you have to tell it explicity.

Comment

No it does not. My script has got some examples at the end:

Comment

Working...
                    X