No announcement yet.

Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has the IGP matured a lot more for hw assisted VA yet?
    Almost done with my build but would rather not buy a gt220 if it can be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
      has the IGP matured a lot more for hw assisted VA yet?
      Almost done with my build but would rather not buy a gt220 if it can be avoided.
      Currently, the Core iX processors with integrated GPU will only support MPEG-2 and H.264 at this time on Linux. In terms of maturity, it seems the code is derived from other drivers like the one used on former MacOS X platforms. If you want 3D performance or advanced OpenGL functionality, you'd better get an NVIDIA card.

Comment

Can't see why I'd want 3d performance or advanced OpenGL functionality unless I'm gaming, which won't do.
        Or is there other reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
          Currently, the Core iX processors with integrated GPU will only support MPEG-2 and H.264 at this time on Linux.
          Reliable MPEG2 & H.264 VA are really the only 2 things one would want for hw assisted VA right?
          So that's great!

Comment

Reliable MPEG2 & H.264 VA are really the only 2 things one would want for hw assisted VA right?
            So that's great!
            nVidias VDPAU also accelerates VC1, which afaik is used for most (or atleast many) blurays and thus is also a pretty important codec.

Comment

bummer, hopefully my Core i3-530 alone can deal with it?

Comment

And this anyone? Thank-you.
                Can't see why I'd want 3d performance or advanced OpenGL functionality unless I'm gaming, which won't do.
                Or is there other reasons?

Comment

Stability issue still not resolved?

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  Currently, the Core iX processors with integrated GPU will only support MPEG-2 and H.264 at this time on Linux. In terms of maturity, it seems the code is derived from other drivers like the one used on former MacOS X platforms. If you want 3D performance or advanced OpenGL functionality, you'd better get an NVIDIA card.
                  OK, but for the time being I'd be happy if the i3/H55 combination was stable. Until then there is no point worrying about 3D performance.

If anyone cares, I have opened a bug report on freedesktop.org.

Martin

Comment

i don't care about 3d performance (can't see why i'd need it other than for gaming) just VA, is that not working reliably for you?

Comment

i don't care about 3d performance (can't see why i'd need it other than for gaming) just VA, is that not working reliably for you?
                      No, it's not. Nor was it for Michael Larabel in January. That's why he wrote the article "Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant" on phoronix.com, which in turn I found four months later when researching my instability issue. And since this thread is the discussion thread for the article, I asked the question whether the issue has been resolved in the meantime.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X