No announcement yet.

Intel's New Clarkdale IGP On Linux Not So Pleasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a viable alternative to GT220 + VDPAU for video decode?
    If not what does it lack in comparison to GT220 + VDPAU?
    I'm hoping I can mostly get away with it, if not I can always add a GT220.

Thanks.

Comment

jalyst: there's no real usable video decoding acceleration support for intel video adapters yet. libva has some very experimental code for just MPEG format video, but that's all.

Having said that, I'd think any Core i* CPU would be more than powerful enough to handle video playback up to 1080P on its own with no real need for assistance from the graphics card. My 'not exactly a speed demon' Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz can handle 1080P on a single core quite handily. You only really need hardware-assisted video decoding if you're trying to play some ludicrous quad HD resolution, trying to play video while doing something else very CPU-intensive at the same time, trying to play a lot of video streams together, or using a really weak CPU like an Atom.

Comment

The thing is, it's also temporarily to be my MythBE & NAS...
        So there will be other CPU intensive things going on like flagging, transcoding etc.

So I was hoping there'd be some freakin hw VA with intel IGP's by now!
        Sheesh... I guess I have to end up getting a GT220 ?

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
          The thing is, it's also temporarily to be my MythBE & NAS...
          So there will be other CPU intensive things going on like flagging, transcoding etc.

So I was hoping there'd be some freakin hw VA with intel IGP's by now!
          Sheesh... I guess I have to end up getting a GT220 ?
          If what AdamW says is right, you'd still have a whole core available. I think that should be plenty enough for a NAS/Mythbackend. Just give them a low priority so they wont interfere (especially when transcoding) and I think you should be fine.

Comment

Yeah there may well be enough grunt, I'll just have to dive in and see.
            Any thoughts on what specific makes/models to get for the various parts?

Thanks!

Comment

Woops sorry wrong thread, I thought you were responding in this!
              config ideas for MythBE/NAS + Myth/XBMC FE

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                Having said that, I'd think any Core i* CPU would be more than powerful enough to handle video playback up to 1080P on its own with no real need for assistance from the graphics card. My 'not exactly a speed demon' Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz can handle 1080P on a single core quite handily. You only really need hardware-assisted video decoding if you're trying to play some ludicrous quad HD resolution, trying to play video while doing something else very CPU-intensive at the same time, trying to play a lot of video streams together, or using a really weak CPU like an Atom.
                I beg to differ. While of course that CPU (I have the same ) could handle 1080p videos if a WM like fluxbox with nothing else to distract the processor is used, some real life examples would not apply. I find that the tiniest disturbance can make the video start lagging (and this happened to me most on 1080p files). Of course, I don't close every app when I go to watch a movie, which may be the culprit of this. However, when using the GPU, this lag does not occur at all under the same circumstances.

Comment

can I get some thoughts in make/models for my final parts please?
                  config ideas for MythBE/NAS + Myth/XBMC FE

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone? Much appreciated.

Comment

Issue still open?

Hi,

only 4 months later, and I have run into the same issue with my shiny new i3 530 (it literally has a shiny copper top but I am deviating).

Has this issue been resolved in the meantime? Where would I file a bug report? I use kernel 2.6.33.3, Xorg 1.7.6, intel_drv.so 2.11.0 and I can trigger the bug reliably calling xine when KDE4 desktop effects are enabled.

Thanks,

Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X