X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpiszcz
    replied
    Hello,

Will new benchmarks be performed with a newer BIOS (assuming that corrects the errors in DMESG)?

I ask because in the anandtech article, the i870 CPU wins many of the benchmarks, one or two over the top of the line extreme chips.

I was wondering is the problem with Linux or is it a bios issue?

It sounds like it could not shift the CPU speed to a higher level/bin?

Justin.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    There are more hidden values from cpuinfo. Like when you don't disable EIST on s775 and you go over FSB 400 then you will not see the correct speed too. Of if you like to get fake high speeds you just need to force a lower multi than the max. of the cpu. Even when you raised the FSB lower than the default it will show up to FSB 400 just max cpu multi * fsb.
    Last edited by Kano; 09-19-2009, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• justapost
    replied
    If you modify the p-states of an phenom black edition chip, an modified multi does also not show up in /proc/couinfo.
    Looking at apache and postgres results it seems those had problems with eist. I prepared a suite with nearly all benchmarks (I left out all disc benches and the retail ones), currently I test the pII at 2.8GHz with that suite, next will be the i5, this time with eist and c-states disabled. Should be an good clock vs clock comparison, only the uncore speed (2.13GHz( differs from the nb speed (2GHz). I wonder how long it will take to finish one run, think I can run one or two tests per day.
    The NAS IC.s benchmark which caused system hangup's here works fine with increased vdimm, so it's a good and quick memory stability test.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well that's secret OC then The first 133 mhz step is always on with load and good cooling. The higher states only when not all cores are used. But basically it does not really matter if you see it, at least the speed is there and it runs fast.

Leave a comment:

• justapost
    replied
    The problem is the higher multis are in use but they are noot reported.
    With Turbo and c-states enabled cpufreq-info shows
    2.8GHz, 2.66GHz followed by the frequencies with lower multis.
    With turbo on and c-states off it shows 2.66GHz twice.
    In the first case multis above 21x are in use but max 21x can be tracked. In the second case only the 21x multi is in use but even if the chip runs at 2.8GHz cpufreq-info and cat /proc/cpuinfo only show 2.66GHz.
    I made an config for the onboard sensor chip so I can atleast log cpu voltage and temperature + cpu usage.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You can be sure, everything with 20% performance boost lets the cpu run with 4 x 133 more and is most likely single threaded (look at htop). Maybe you could check cpu speed with /proc/cpuinfo too when this is running...

Leave a comment:

• justapost
    replied
    Here's an comparison against turbo off.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Povray is a nice SINGLE thread example that shows the turbo mode. Excactly 20% faster, 3200 MHz.
    Last edited by Kano; 09-18-2009, 08:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• justapost
    replied
    Enough for today.

http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...8550-16695-143

I ran with Turbo and C-States enabled twice, to show the results are consistent. Also I ran with C-States disabled, which means the cpu ran at 2.8GHz and also in addition with turbo disabled.

In the comparison I used the reciprocal for time results and calculated the score increase over the 955 results for each test and average over all results.

Overall with that selection of benchmarks an 955BE performs like an i5 750 at ~2.75GHz. I do not think this selection is representative for daily usage.

Leave a comment:

• justapost
    replied
    Thank you for the 3.8GHz data, I like comparisons.

Here are a few more results, this time universe-cli.
    http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...358-5083-22089

Currently I run the first serie again with C-States And C-Satetes+Turbo disabled. Will have to rerun the test with both enabled because the newer bios runs with an slightly higher BCLK (~136MHz vs. ~133MHz).
    One of those nas benchmarks (IS.c) cause the system to hang, once during the 955BE test and once during the i5 750 test with C-States disabled.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X