Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Linux Change Helps Ensure AMD Ryzen With NVMe Works After Resuming From Suspend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Change Helps Ensure AMD Ryzen With NVMe Works After Resuming From Suspend

Phoronix: New Linux Change Helps Ensure AMD Ryzen With NVMe Works After Resuming From Suspend

A Linux power management change merged on Friday aims to help ensure AMD Ryzen systems with NVMe solid-state drive storage will work properly when resuming from suspend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! Laptop suspend has been broken for so long on Linux(at least on my previous Lenovo Ryzen laptops), so I'm exited
    Now if AMD could fix power consumption for video playback(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3195) then the Framework 13 AMD is looking like a great Linux laptop to get!

Comment

oh. I hope that this fixes issues with my ryzen Lenovo laptop w/ Ubuntu 24.04.

Comment

Nice, I've had a few issues on my desktop as well, and suspend never worked off my USB nvme drive on that system.

Comment

Sleep/low power mode makes my Vivobook with Ryzen "5000" Zen 2 not work right at all. Failure to shutdown, wifi won't resume, tons of issues even today. Hopefully this helps some of it.

Comment

Genuinely curious what is wrong with S3 sleep, why is S2idle the big new thing? S2Idle always seemed like such a Windows world thing to me.

Comment

This change will only help a very specific problem with BIOS. If you run https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/a.../amd_s2idle.py and it flags NVME as a problem it will help that NVME issue.

If you guys have other issues; please start with that script and open up bug reports if you have problems even with doing the things it suggested.

Comment

Is there some kind of BIOS conformance test suite that should allow manufacturers to check compatibility before shipping borked laptops?

Also, there is far too much garbage happening outside the OS these days. UEFI is an operating system of its own now...

Comment

Speaking of NVMe and Ryzen laptop issues .. I think kernel 6.9.4 (and I assume 6.6.33) might have finally fixed an issue where my laptop's NVMe disk would disappear when on battery (Metabox NL50NU or RU, not sure. A Clevo model anyway, Zen 2 Ryzen 5700U), causing the system to become unusable. Anything in memory would continue to function, but disk access was impossible (I/O errors). This would happen anywhere from a minute or two to 15 minutes after boot and being on battery power. The other day I used the laptop on 6.9.4 for about 5 hours on battery, going in and out of s2idle, and no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    Genuinely curious what is wrong with S3 sleep, why is S2idle the big new thing? S2Idle always seemed like such a Windows world thing to me.
                    The NSA requires the ability to wake any device in the world in an instant, with S3 on some devices this did not work sometimes. Thus, s2idle was needed to ensure the network connectivity remained intact to the ME and PSP chips.

Comment

Working...
                    X