Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Two Year Journey Funded By Arm/Qualcomm For Improving ARM Linux Laptop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Two Year Journey Funded By Arm/Qualcomm For Improving ARM Linux Laptop Support

Phoronix: The Two Year Journey Funded By Arm/Qualcomm For Improving ARM Linux Laptop Support

Kernel developer and consultant Johan Hovold spent the last two years working on improving ARM Linux laptop support with a particular focus on the Lenovo ThinkPad X13s powered Qualcomm SoC. Arm funded this Linaro effort and as a result the ThinkPad X13s enjoys pleasant upstream kernel support now. This Arm Linux laptop project has now concluded but sets a nice base for further ARM Linux laptop improvements moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would really like to get such a X13s, but 1600€ used on ebay for that thing, nope.

Comment

There is though some bits of support still outstanding such as around the web camera, DisplayPort audio, eDP PSR, video acceleration, and performance/power optimizations.

Other areas to potentially explore in the future include system hibernation, the lowest power states, Trusted Platform Module enablement, thermal throttling, keyboard hotkeys, and more.
      Awesome work and I'm glad this was funded by ARM and Qualcomm. But I hope the Snapdragon X Elite / Plus NUVIA systems don't suffer the same fate where years later there are important things still not working.

Comment

now that qualcomm arm is doomed to fail, cant wait to see qualcomm riscv

Comment

It's still using devicetrees, which means it can go and burn in a fire. Nobody is going to put both devicetrees and ACPI tables into UEFI. It's one or the other.

and ARM on Linux is an even bigger joke and abomination. Instead of standard UEFI + ACPI, we now have UEFI + bloody devicetrees.

https://www.qualcomm.com/developer/b...dragon-x-elite

Comment

I own one of these running Arch Arm, I really appreciate the work Johan has put into it.
            Sad to hear they are "concluding" this project, while a lot has been done for this machine it's still lacking in a lot of areas.

Suspend is still not really possible because of the lack of lowest power states + some wifi devices seem to prevent sleep entirely.
            Audio is still wonky, specially on the audio jack, lack of GPU throttling makes it very hot in heavy games (it can actually run Minecraft with shaders at an ok FPS).

What makes it frustrating is that it's otherwise an incredible machine: pretty snappy, good GPU performance, thin, light and small.
            It's still my preferred travel machine for its portability, so I hope one day it gets 100% support even if that's likely a pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              I would really like to get such a X13s, but 1600€ used on ebay for that thing, nope.
              Don't worry, EOY there will be a small crash to the price in the second hand market, since the newer generation snapdragons are said to be so much faster and efficient, and even x86-64 from Intel and amd are being touted as competitive in perf/W or battery life. It simply won't make sense to keep these devices - if rumours are true.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                It's still using devicetrees, which means it can go and burn in a fire. Nobody is going to put both devicetrees and ACPI tables into UEFI. It's one or the other.

and ARM on Linux is an even bigger joke and abomination. Instead of standard UEFI + ACPI, we now have UEFI + bloody devicetrees.

https://www.qualcomm.com/developer/b...dragon-x-elite
                Device tree isn't inherently worse then ACPI, it just so happens that the wind blows in a way that most manufactures of SBCs cheap out and distribute half baked DT files, they could still do the same thing with ACPI.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post

Don't worry, EOY there will be a small crash to the price in the second hand market, since the newer generation snapdragons are said to be so much faster and efficient, and even x86-64 from Intel and amd are being touted as competitive in perf/W or battery life. It simply won't make sense to keep these devices - if rumours are true.
                  I wouldn't mind buying an X13s even right now, except there were supposed to be 32GiB RAM models and none of them seem to be anywhere to be seen. I'm reluctant to buy a 16GiB RAM model when said RAM is soldered in and non-upgradable.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwalker View Post
                    I wouldn't mind buying an X13s even right now, except there were supposed to be 32GiB RAM models and none of them seem to be anywhere to be seen. I'm reluctant to buy a 16GiB RAM model when said RAM is soldered in and non-upgradable.
                    IMO, it depends entirely on the price. For me, 16 GB is a usable amount with an 8-core, 8-thread CPU. A lot of Chromebooks have 8 GB or maybe less. If the price of said laptop makes it disposable after 3 years, then the RAM capacity doesn't need to have lots of room to grow with my needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X