Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Fast CPPC To Be Merged For Linux 6.11

Phoronix: AMD Fast CPPC To Be Merged For Linux 6.11

The AMD Fast CPPC feature enablement for the "amd_pstate" driver has been submitted to the power management subsystem ahead of next month's Linux 6.11 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The driver is showing great progress.
    It's coming to a point where it's mostly feature complete and new architectures could be added faster.
    With my zen2 threadripper (3960X) now being fully supported, it seems to perform much better and it actually reaches peak boost clocks.
    Last edited by MastaG; 12 June 2024, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I imagine that the L1 and L2 cache improvements in Zen 5 (upward of 80-90%) will synergize well with these improvements.

Comment

Marion or Mario?

Comment

Once again, AMD products age like fine Wine

Seeing performance upgrades to my existing hardware makes me really happy

Rarely see this from their competition

Comment

Does Windows have such feature as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
              Once again, AMD products age like fine Wine

Seeing performance upgrades to my existing hardware makes me really happy

Rarely see this from their competition
              In this case it's a hardware feature finally getting software support over a year later (assuming the 7840HS is the first CPU to support it).

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

In this case it's a hardware feature finally getting software support over a year later (assuming the 7840HS is the first CPU to support it).
                CPPC has been around since at least 2021. https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/pm/amd-pstate.html

Software is primarily a predecessor to hardware. With few exceptions, like your boss spending thousands of dollars on a new feature because the IC / microchips support it but the PCB was never wired for i. He didn't like when I had to point it out to him in the wiring diagram. Or when they ignore the fact you point out a software based GPIO solution will not work when hardware based serial transmit and receive are required, more money wasted.
                ‚Äč

Comment

Working...
                X