Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One-Line Patch For Intel Meteor Lake Yields Up To 72% Better Performance, +7% Geo Mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
    Intel processors names are impossible to understand and you defend that ? LOL
    You obviously didn't read far enough, because I was crystal clear that I didn't like it. However, you said the marketing people were bad at their job, but all you succeeded in doing was to show that you don't understand their job. I think none of us have the data to say whether their tactics are actually successful in their aims. That's what's actually needed in order to say whether they're any good or not.

Stop writing please.
    If you willfully misunderstand what I'm saying, it does seem rather pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I think it's obvious that AMD has bribed Linux and friends to sabotage Intel products so that AMD CPUs look better in comparison.

It's the only possibility that makes sense.
      Judging by the responses to this obvious tongue-in-cheek post, I have to conclude that most people on this forum do not really believe what the write, they just argue for the sake of arguing.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        Judging by the responses to this obvious tongue-in-cheek post,
        You troll enough that it probably was not so obvious to most of us whether or not you were truly joking. Not helped by the fact that it sucked as a joke.

Then again, since you seem to think you can do anything as well as anyone far more experienced and better trained than you, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that you fancy yourself a comedian (among many other things).

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Until you see that the original Meteor Lake P-State CPU frequency scaling driver was signed by "Jia Tan".
          why ? who is it ? did he or she do a good job ?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            When is the last time you ever saw a CPU get slower by increasing its power budget?? That's essentially all their change does!
            Most of the time this comes with a hefty raise in power consumption, this one was moderate.

Comment

This was a response to sophisticles claiming (whether truly in jest or not, we'll probably never know) that it was not optimal due to AMD sabotaging it.

What you're meant to know (and don't worry, I didn't either) is that Jia Tan is the pseudonym of the xz backdoor author:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now that's how you tell a joke!
              🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Most of the time this comes with a hefty raise in power consumption, this one was moderate.
                That's the point, though. I'd guess the balance_performance setting is probably supposed to increase performance as long as it's still efficient. If you want to chase max performance without regard to efficiency, then you'd just use the performance EPB setting.

Comment

You don't know who Jia Tan is? 2024 Nominee for the Steve Ballmer Coder of the Year Award, and for the Bill Gates Lifetime Achievement in Coding Award?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    You don't know who Jia Tan is? 2024 Nominee for the Steve Ballmer Coder of the Year Award, and for the Bill Gates Lifetime Achievement in Coding Award?
                    He surely is your best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      Maybe that's why companies like Dell have long used their own.

Intel has an entire team devoted just to overclocking!
                      Sure, maybe these folks are focused on Windows gaming, but don't tell me there's been nobody doing performance tuning on Linux! Perhaps the reason this slipped through the cracks is specifically because it's a laptop CPU? I could understand if tuning their frequency scaling driver for Linux laptops falls a bit further down the priority stack, at Intel.
                      I used to work in jones farm five to be exact, and my lab looks just like the one in the photo, more secure labs don't allow cameras or even phones, so I guess special allowance there.. yes dell/HP/sm have their own teams because they develop their own motherboards. The channel resellers reuse Intel boards directly, though again I'm out of this loop maybe this doesn't happen anymore.

Keep in mind I left 14yrs ago now not long after core processors took back the lead from AMD... I worked in the server world and most definitely we were not overclocking at my stage of benching/tuning as much as minor tweaks and profile recommendations... The desktop overclocking thing was just starting to get baked into our CPU desktop tools when I left so I presume it evolved further but I stand by the comment about how this is developed. Intel has not changed THAT much, otellini was our VP in those days, now he's ceo and they are playing catch-up to AMD again.

This was caught but whether a change to process will make sure this and new kernel tweaks gets consistently investigated for improvements, I don't know. One can hope.

Comment

Working...
                      X