Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One-Line Patch For Intel Meteor Lake Yields Up To 72% Better Performance, +7% Geo Mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-Line Patch For Intel Meteor Lake Yields Up To 72% Better Performance, +7% Geo Mean

Phoronix: One-Line Patch For Intel Meteor Lake Yields Up To 72% Better Performance, +7% Geo Mean

Covered last week on Phoronix was a new patch from Intel that with tuning to the P-State CPU frequency scaling driver was showing big wins for Intel Core Ultra "Meteor Lake" performance and power efficiency. I was curious with the Intel claims posted for a couple benchmarks and thus over the weekend set out to run many Intel Meteor Lake benchmarks on this one-line kernel patch... The results are great for boosting the Linux performance of Intel Core ultra laptops with as much as 72% better performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No regressions in sight, makes me wonder on which basis they chose the initial values.

Comment

Indeed, as the company I'd like to present my product in the best light for day-1 reviews. What went wrong here to miss such a big opportunity for a better perception of the product sooner?

Comment

Do you also have metrics for Wh per benchmark or geometric means?
        When I saw the power metrics it made me curious if the power efficiency didn't increase because of faster finishing even if the max power or also average power during the benchmark increased

Comment

Originally posted by Kabbone View Post
          Do you also have metrics for Wh per benchmark or geometric means?
          When I saw the power metrics it made me curious if the power efficiency didn't increase because of faster finishing even if the max power or also average power during the benchmark increased
          Footnotes on power graphs have joules per run.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does this mean that the actual performance gains for lunarlake/arrowlake are almost nil?

Comment

Impressive - only I'm not sure whether as an original error(bug) or as an genuine coding brilliancy.

Comment

I think it's obvious that AMD has bribed Linux and friends to sabotage Intel products so that AMD CPUs look better in comparison.

It's the only possibility that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  Indeed, as the company I'd like to present my product in the best light for day-1 reviews. What went wrong here to miss such a big opportunity for a better perception of the product sooner?
                  Having done this actual job at Intel once upon a long time ago (specifically, recommend kernel/bios defaults for new product initiatives in the server division) I can say that these defaults (at least when I was doing it) were the result of setting 'sane' defaults and no one on either the kernel, bios, or product teams realizing that changing it and running a benchmark = big change.

Stuff like this is often coded by a dev in a vacuum (red cover guide and maybe a prototype) , with minimal benchmarking on the initial roll-out scenarios because in order for the more main stream Engineering Product teams to test it has to be in a kernel, so tuning parameters like this....fall through the cracks. Someone chose a conservative default that sounded good at the time and no one revisited that decision until now..but someone at least DID revisit it!

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    I think it's obvious that AMD has bribed Linux and friends to sabotage Intel products so that AMD CPUs look better in comparison.

It's the only possibility that makes sense.
                    Until you see that the original Meteor Lake P-State CPU frequency scaling driver was signed by "Jia Tan".

Comment

Working...
                    X