Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xeon 6766E/6780E Sierra Forest vs. Ampere Altra Performance & Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon 6766E/6780E Sierra Forest vs. Ampere Altra Performance & Power Efficiency

Phoronix: Intel Xeon 6766E/6780E Sierra Forest vs. Ampere Altra Performance & Power Efficiency

With the launch day review of the Intel Xeon 6766E and Xeon 6780E "Sierra Forest" processors the focus was on looking at the performance and power efficiency compared to prior Intel Xeon generations as well as the AMD EPYC competition. For those wondering how Intel's new Xeon 6 Sierra Forest processors compete against Amere Computing's "cloud native" Altra Max processors, here are those benchmarks looking at the performance and power efficiency.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Something like a "cheap" 32 all efficiency cores SKU would be really nice for a home server / lab setup. Sadly even cut down to 32 cores it would be far from actually cheap.

Comment

What a weak show from intel once again. This is what happens when religious camps get set up, they don't even feel the need to improve since they know they still get to keep their sales.

Comment

Intel's power optimized solution struggles to compete with amd's regular lineup efficiency wise. And its 144 cores offer only about half of the performance of a 128 core epyc.

I do realize it is a huge improvement for intel, in terms of their horrid power figures.

But it is only barely competitive with epyc in only a few rather niche scenarios, while seriously under-performing across the board, all the while costing as much as a twice as fast epyc solution.

If I am someone forced to use intel, then yey, I get to scrounge on the power bill.

But if I have a choice, then intel makes no sense whatsoever.
        Last edited by ddriver; 05 June 2024, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I don't care. I'm really excited about this Intel product lineup.
          Some actual competition again. Intel made some serious strides here.
          Ie, better products for end customers.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            I don't care. I'm really excited about this Intel product lineup.
            Some actual competition again. Intel made some serious strides here.
            Ie, better products for end customers.
            I would agree, at least price/performance/power is somehow competitive, although the price of those cpus are crazy (~10k$ per unit) and don't like the idea of the "cut-down" design: Zen4/Zen4c has AVX512 and is an all-around very good and mature performer, Intel E-cores are almost on par but sometimes lose really bad.

Comment

Michael, any chance to get "Geometric Mean" chart of the perf/W results, not just absolute perf values?

Comment

Michael
                leading paragraph:
                Amere Computing -> Ampere Computing

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                  What a weak show from intel once again. This is what happens when religious camps get set up, they don't even feel the need to improve since they know they still get to keep their sales.
                  It's weird to see a tone in this thread that's almost the opposite of the first page of the initial benchmarks thread:

Phoronix: Intel Xeon 6780E / Xeon 6766E 144-Core Performance Benchmarks With Intel's launch today of the Xeon 6700E series processors formerly codenamed Sierra Forest I am now able to share benchmarks of these new E-core server processors. Here is an initial look at the Intel Sierra Forest Linux performance using the Xeon

Perhaps it's affected by the differing selection of benchmarks, but those posters couldn't seem to keep from tripping over themselves to pat Intel on the back.

Comment

all i was commenting about is that a new product from intel cannot beat existing amd product. So it is pretty weak.

Someone might think it is strong because it outperforms previous intel offerings.

Comment

Working...
                    X