Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon 6780E / Xeon 6766E 144-Core Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Xeon 6780E / Xeon 6766E 144-Core Performance Benchmarks

With Intel's launch today of the Xeon 6700E series processors formerly codenamed Sierra Forest I am now able to share benchmarks of these new E-core server processors. Here is an initial look at the Intel Sierra Forest Linux performance using the Xeon 6766E and Xeon 6780E 144-core server processors in both single and dual socket configurations compared to prior Intel Xeon processors and the AMD EPYC competition.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For all the crap that Intel gets for their efficiency cores, this looks like the most interesting Xeon in quite a while.

Comment

Interesting, they basically caught up to AMD Bergamo, quite the generational leap forward. Winning some, losing some.

Comment

I thought these chips are designed to serve the web, so I looked for nginx benchmarks, but... Isn't nginx relevant here?

Comment

That's actually not bad. Well done intel.

Comment

Sierra Forest looks a lot better than I expected, especially for performance/watt.

Comment

Uh they massively improved perf/w, not enough to catch Zen 4 but if they can keep the pace we might be there in 2 gens.
              Last edited by Anux; 04 June 2024, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                For all the crap that Intel gets for their efficiency cores, this looks like the most interesting Xeon in quite a while.
                An eye opener. Is it possible to chart just E-core improvements through the generations without P-core contributions?

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  Interesting, they basically caught up to AMD Bergamo, quite the generational leap forward. Winning some, losing some.
                  Huh? Certainly not based on the geomean. Also, be careful to note which plots are perf/W vs. simple performance - you might be double-counting some of their wins.

Finally, pay close attention to where they do well. These are all integer-dominated workloads that play to Crestmont's strengths and avoid inconvenient details, like their lack of AVX-512.

Originally posted by Keats View Post
                  Sierra Forest looks a lot better than I expected, especially for performance/watt.
                  Keep in mind that it's made on the Intel 3 node, whereas the latest AMD CPUs in these benchmarks are all made on TSMC N5.‚Äč

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Huh? Certainly not based on the geomean. Also, be careful to note which plots are perf/W vs. simple performance - you might be double-counting some of their wins.

Finally, pay close attention to where they do well. These are all integer-dominated workloads that play to Crestmont's strengths and avoid inconvenient details, like their lack of AVX-512.
                    No, in the datacentre, perf/w is really important.

True, this isn't suitable for databases, but for general compute it's great. Your PHP webserver doesn't use AVX-512, for example.

Hence me saying they basically caught up overall. I suspect these E core Xeons may be more competitive than the P core Xeons.

Comment

Working...
                    X