Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 4004 Benchmarks: Outperforming Intel Xeon E-2400 With Performance, Efficiency & Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Michael

I think it would be interesting to also benchmark it against an 7950X/3D, since they seem more or less equal, besides the official ECC support.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      More benchmarks coming... If anyone has any other test requests, let me know. Might do the BSD benchmarks here. And checking out ASRockRack AM5 Ryzen server with new BIOS update now allows for official EPYC 4004 support too.
      YES please. Are they rebadged Ryzen 7000s to make "server stuff only but on the cheap" buyers happy, those that buyed overpriced 4-core xeons "because server"?

Does that "improved IOD and die-to-die" spec show some benefit in some benchmarks?

I won't state where I work, but i think the average intended buyer with an AM5 socket in front of his eyes to fill will ask himself the same question, why this and not a price-cut 7000?

Thank you

Comment

What disk was used for the systems? I would expect more database scaling than seen.

Comment

Michael
          Thank you, however why no links to the product page, not even for the super micro servers? They might appreciate seeing some traffic coming from phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
            Michael
            Thank you, however why no links to the product page, not even for the super micro servers? They might appreciate seeing some traffic coming from phoronix?
            They didn't supply any of the URLs in advance.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The main takeaway: Servers on the same socket means ECC should become easier for everyone.

I look forward to building a Zen5 workstation with ECC.

Comment

Is it safe to assume that, unlike Threadripper and "full fat" Epyc, this has Pluton like other AM5 Zen4 chips?

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
                  @Michael

I think it would be interesting to also benchmark it against an 7950X/3D, since they seem more or less equal, besides the official ECC support.
                  AM5 Ryzen 7000 series already supports ECC officially "ECC Support: Yes (Requires mobo support)​". Finding a motherboard that explicitly supports it however is another matter. ASRock Rack and Supermicro have server-grade AM5 motherboards with BMCs that do support it. They received BIOS updates to handle EPYC 4004 series as well.
                  On the other hand AM5 Ryzen 8000 series APUs do not support ECC at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    More benchmarks coming... If anyone has any other test requests, let me know. Might do the BSD benchmarks here. And checking out ASRockRack AM5 Ryzen server with new BIOS update now allows for official EPYC 4004 support too.
                    How about a BSD, Linux, Windows shootout, maybe add in Haiku if you can get it to run.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                      Finding a motherboard that explicitly supports it however is another matter.
                      At least on consumer motherboards, Asus and Asrock have had ECC support on AM# socket boards for almost two decades now—the trick is to simply do a text search (ctrl+f) in a given motherboard's PDF manual for the usual terms of:
                      • ecc
                      • e.c.c
                      • error

Comment

Working...
                      X