Linux 6.10 Will Print The Number Of Populated Memory Slots At Boot Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 Will Print The Number Of Populated Memory Slots At Boot Time

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 Will Print The Number Of Populated Memory Slots At Boot Time

As a small information heads up, the Linux 6.10 kernel will print the number of populated memory slots at boot time to the kernel log as a little helper...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kinda makes me wonder why this wasn't done like... 20 years ago.

Comment

Not sure how this is useful on its own... but I guess it doesn't hurt.

Comment

What a bloat, only prolongs the boot process. Hope they remove this superfluous stuff sooner than later. Guess the removal will be a more popular news, ....

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          What a bloat, only prolongs the boot process. Hope they remove this superfluous stuff sooner than later. Guess the removal will be a more popular news, ....
          It is already being decoded anyway. Printing it at boot time takes what, a few nanoseconds?

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

It is already being decoded anyway. Printing it at boot time takes what, a few nanoseconds?
            Microseconds...

Comment

I have a 2 memory slots in my cheap mobo. Modern laptop owners, eat your heart out.

Comment

How many slots are in use doesn't help me too much, might be useful to determine the upgrade ability but that would be a one time thing, no need for every boot. And after an upgrade dual (or multi) channel display would be helpful, it's not always clear which slots to use.

Maybe this could only be displayed after a change to the RAM config?

Comment

If only the "consumer" / some SMB hardware boot / BIOS / EFI wasn't an underdeveloped nightmare so one could actually identify which DIMMs are in which slots by serial number / address range mapping / physical location & labeling so if one does get a memory error one can actually in LINUX / memtest correlate that with what DIMM to actually replace. Of course "if only" extends to ubiquitous system level ECC support also.

Comment

"assuming the Desktop Management Interface (DMI) information is accurate.". That's the crux of the matter, as it's a bold and wrong assumption. In practice, computer manufacturers can't even be expected to get right the narrow set of pieces of information required by the relevant patch https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...ee1f80bdda5204 , namely the total number of memory slots, populated memory slots, and size of memory advertised in the DMI data. On multiple laptops I have access to, 4 memory slots are being advertised on motherboards which only have 2...

Comment

Working...
                    X