Ampere Computing 2024 Roadmap Update: 256 Core 3nm CPU In 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    How about 8 or 16 cores, and a design that can compete with the Apple monopoly?
    Cloud cloud cloud... AI AI AI.... Where is desktop!
    Not their market.

Comment

Partner with Microsoft, develop a boot standard (or even just use UEFI), make standard ARM platform, get Windows on it, convince OEMs to use new platform so they can advertise battery life...
      That's how they already are.

It's sort of evil I know, but hey, it at least kills x86 for once.
      Ya, that's not a thing.

Comment

How about 8 or 16 cores, and a design that can compete with the Apple monopoly?
        Cloud cloud cloud... AI AI AI.... Where is desktop!
        I agree 100%.

These announcement for vaporware do little to increase consumer confidence.

They need to attack the desktop, where it's easier to execute and prove the concept.

Release a 4 or 6 core Ampere that wows, then follow it up with higher core count upmarket variants.

Once you get people believing, then attack the high profit market,

How do you announce a "3nm CPU with up to 256 cores and supporting 12 channel DDR5 memory" when you can't even get your current product on the shelves?

Comment

The main thing Ampere needs to do to remain relevant is to switch to RISC-V.

I hope they're not dumb, and their roadmap chips are actually RVA23.

Comment

I would love to see a Pi like device with at least 4 proper big cores (X4 is the current ones?) at a reasonable price or a ITX mobo with such a chip already present.

Comment

It seems that GIGABYTE are selling AmpereOne servers: https://www.gigabyte.com/Enterprise/ARM-Server?fid=2494

Supermicro have them as "COMMING SOON": https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/megadc

My concern with Ampere1 is that the memory bandwidth per core seems to be too low. From looking into the GCC and LLVM source code, it appears that Ampere1 doesn't support SVE which, if true, will be pity.
              Last edited by trifud; 17 May 2024, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                Maybe some day I'll be able to replace my 16 core 7950X with a 32 core ARM system.
                32 core ARM System made by AMD will be cool

Comment

AMD is ramping x86_64 cores too quickly, intel too the gen after sierra forest when e core only might be good, for ampere to skate by on simply "more core new node". To compete with the more entrenched and better x86 this announcement should have been for 512 good cores minimum. By the time these get released x86 will be way ahead, 256 arm cores only competes well with current gen on some workloads.

Comment

Working...
                  X