Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Is Doing More ARM64 Linux Testing Now That He Has A More Powerful System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
    I wonder how many companies / state-level actors send Linus hardware with a backdoor in it. If I were him I wouldn’t trust any hardware I didn’t buy myself from the next town over.
    Yeah, they might steal the source code for Linux, he better be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Wonder who tests AVX 512 stuff if Torvalds is using Zen 2?
        It's Tiger Lake/11th gen Intel or Zen 4/7000s onwards for AMD.

And yes Intel made the spec then dropped it due to their silly e-cores.

Well, maybe AMD can flex hard and gift him a monster Zen 5 thing in a few months. Computex is near, AMD Hype!

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Yes, this is what I wanted to ask. What do they want to steal?
          The only valuable thing is his git credentials that worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Not long.

Milk-V Oasis with 16x SiFive P670 and 8x SiFive X280 is expected to ship to enthusiasts this year, significantly faster than any available ARM SBC.

Otherwise, the (very powerful, competitive with AMD/Intel) Ventana Veyron V2 and Tenstorrent Ascalon are due this year.

SiFive has announced its P870 but seeing it on chips will take longer.

Many others including Rivos and Qualcomm are working on their own very high performance implementations.

RISC-V is inevitable.
            Oh, if only THIS TIME it would be true.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

Oh, if only THIS TIME it would be true.
              Implies there have been such announcements and they weren't true? I have no such memory.

RISC-V is inevitable. Think about it carefully, one company's roadmap might slip up. All of them? Doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Implies there have been such announcements and they weren't true? I have no such memory.

RISC-V is inevitable. Think about it carefully, one company's roadmap might slip up. All of them? Doubtful.
                Well, the previous offerings have not lived up to their hype. If they again release an underperforming offering it's what i honestly expect. We are talking about performance per dollar. Any monkey can match latest threadripper in multitask performance if they are allowed to make the chip a 500 core monstrosity utilizing the largest and most advanced fab on earth, clocking in at 100k dollars per chip.

Latest phoronix article about cloud offering? Ridiculously overpriced and under performing for even being considered for anything but development research.
                Last edited by varikonniemi; 15 May 2024, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by User29 View Post

Yes, this is what I wanted to ask. What do they want to steal?
                  The only valuable thing is his git credentials that worth the effort.
                  My comment was a joke, obviously there are things that a hacker could do if they would pwn Thorvalds. Stealing his signing keys would be one of many things.

Comment

Now how long until there is a powerful RISC-V system that attracts Torvalds' interest?
                    How many powerful desktop RISC-V systems are available? Unless Linus drives a certain Delorean at 88 miles per hour, hardware that doesn't exist yet, is rather difficult to obtain.

Comment

RISC-V is a joke, the other benchmark clearly shows this and yet there's still shills who cope so hard to expect it to be good, as you can see from this thread.

Pure cope.

Comment

Working...
                      X