Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking Five Linux Distros Against Windows 11 On The Threadripper PRO 7995WX / HP Z6 G5 A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SophTherapy
    replied
    Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

the thing is, I am very sick person. Schizophrenia with manic depression.
    When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    Sure, if you can output 1 movie per week you can make much more money than if it takes a month.
    This is so laughable.

People buy tickets in advance for a movie and in many cases wait eagerly for years for a movie to come out.

There is zero correlation between demand for a movie and when it is released, people will run out to see a new Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter or Hunger Games or any movie you can name and it won't matter one bit how long it takes to be released.

You really need a basic course in Economics, specifically Elastic vs Inelastic Goods and Supply and Demand.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    I can not imagine AMD not using the top binned chips for EPYCs, lower quality chips for TRs and the scraps for Ryzens.
    TRs tend to come out a year later than their epyc/ryzen chips, so AMD basically spends that time figuring out what they can do with the chips they are getting.

Epyc have very strict power requirements, and buyers tend to highly value power efficiency, due to high sales in data centers where such things tend to be very important.

The nature of TR sales means they can throw high-power using chips to that lineup a lot easier, if they find they can increase the speed of the chip high in exchange. The same is true of Ryzen chips earlier on in the lifecycle before TR comes out. Of course, all the different lineups tend to have a mix of different types, but that's just in generalities.

It's not necessarily about "top-binned" vs "bottom-binned" - it's more about, these chips are binned for higher frequency possibilities, while these are better for low-power usage. Although desktop chips are generally probably bottom of the barrel.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 05 December 2023, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Because no one is doing any 3d rendering on a CPU, they are using high end pro graphics cards, which are 5 times faster and cost way less and use less overall electricity.
    And they can't handle large scenes because of vRAM constraints. I think we are at cute little 48 GB today?

It must have been a very exhaustive search:
    At least you couldn't provide a proof either, where in this article do they talk about video editing?

No it doesn't, not even close.
    Sorry you're right, it's even longer: https://gfxspeak.com/archives/techni...ung-fu-panda-2 You can search any modern animation movie, none of them use GPUs.

I have mentioned that I used to do consulting work for a music video production company and routinely received 6k ProRes 4444 files that needed to be edited.
    As said, it's not marketed for video editing. You are standing in front of a tesla car and call it a scam because you can't mow your lawn with it. Buy a lawn mower and stop complaining.

Also, there is zero correlation between rending out the video and making more money
    Sure, if you can output 1 movie per week you can make much more money than if it takes a month.

Leave a comment:

• salahaddin
    replied
    I came here specifically to laugh at Microshart.

Leave a comment:

• nadirx
    replied

Please try to think rationally for at least one minute.

How do you know that Puget Systems' servers are running Apache? After all Apache is amateur hour, NGINX​ is preferred over Apache.

Or maybe they are using IIS.
    Apache ActiveMQ != Apache HTTPD

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    I would like if bridgman posted that here or if someone could provide a link to him saying this.
    I find it very hard to believe because EPYCs have higher core counts, going all the way to 128C/256T, support up to 32 way SMP, i.e. 32 sockets, and 2TB per socket.
    In every category they surpass their TR cousins.
    And they are more expensive.
    I can not imagine AMD not using the top binned chips for EPYCs, lower quality chips for TRs and the scraps for Ryzens.
    sadly bridgman is a busy man. but of course you can ask him.

to use the best binned selection of chips for 96core or 128Core EPYC cpus makes no sense at all because these cpus already use their TDP maximum power consumtion of the socket at a low/lower clock speed.

these best of the best binned chiplets have higher effectvt if you just use it in 32core cpus. even of you go from 32cores to 64 cores the clock speed goes down significatly.

so if you can even go from 32 to 64 cores without clock speed then why select the highest clocked chips in the binning process ?

makes no sense at all.

people do overclock the threadrippers to 6ghz...

"I can not imagine AMD not using the top binned chips for EPYCs, lower quality chips for TRs and the scraps for Ryzens."

you really have a deep missunterstanding that there are no best/top binned chips
    the binning selection gives you different incompatible classes of chips a cpu die wjo can do high frequency is maybe bad on powersaving. and a chip what is good on power saving is maybe bad in clocking high.

the threatripper chips are the best chips of you care for high clock speed

if you care for power saving you should go with EPYC cpus instead.

bridgman tols us this in the past multible times

Threatripper=High Clock Speed
    EPYC=Power saving.

these 96core/128core/192core(ARM Ampere) customers really have no need for high clock speeds

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

in the past people from amd like bridgman told us that the highest quality chips they can produce detected in the binning process go into threatripper cpus because thats their PR Halo-Light-Effect Products

and the definition in the binning process for threatripper is the highest clock speed possible.

he told us that the binning process for EPYC CPUs does aim for low power consumtion. but he told us that high clock cores are much more rare than low power consumtion cores.

this really means 1. class chips go into threatripprt and only 2. class chips go into EPIC cpus and 3. class chips go into ryzen desktop chips.

its a 3 way selection process

high frequency chips go into threatripper
    chips with low power consumtion go into EPYC cpus..

and chips who have funtion but no such quality go into ryzen desktop...
    I would like if bridgman posted that here or if someone could provide a link to him saying this.

I find it very hard to believe because EPYCs have higher core counts, going all the way to 128C/256T, support up to 32 way SMP, i.e. 32 sockets, and 2TB per socket.

In every category they surpass their TR cousins.

And they are more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by ljovuska

your pathetic attempt to portray yourself as serious user (video editing) did not fool anyone. such people use mac. We all know that you are nothing but a troll from your mom's basement
    Yes, yes, anyone who needs to edit a video does it on a Mac.

And everyone knows it Everyone.

I don't know if I'm a 'serious user', but I know that I can manage effects better in VSDC than in ShotCut. However, for normal editing, ShotCut is perfect for me.

For my needs, I don't need a Mac, Adobe Premier, Afterefects, DaVinci Resolve or Final Cut Pro etc.

And work on your language culture, because you confirm the stereotype that Linux fans are often mentally immature people with social problems and dysfunctions.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Did i trigger someone? Me so sorry.
    You are wrong and I will explain why.
    When AMD first introduced Ryzen the processors went up to 8C/16T and dual channel DDR4. AMD then introduced the first gen Threadrippers that featured either 12C/24T or 16C/32T and quad channel DDR4.
    Then AMD upped the core counts on the next gen TR all the way to 32C/64T and quad channel DDR4. If you wanted more cores than that you stepped up to EPYC that also supported eight channel DDR4 and 64C/128T
    Up until this point their clear separation of Ryzen, TR and EPYC, there was no overlap in the amount of cores and memory channels each supported.
    That has changed, as now TR can have either four or eight channel ram and the amount of cores and the amount of memory channels between TR and EPYC overlap.
    So what is the difference?
    EPYCs support SMP, TR does not. Except:

So the question is if both EPYC and TR support SMP, eight channel ram and the same core counts, why have both?
    The answer is that TRs are EPYCs that could not pass validation. It's called binning and it's done by everyone, the chips that can be validated are sold as the high end product, the ones that can't are sold as extremely expensive wastes of money to people like you that are gullible enough to believe that they serve any purpose to the average user than a way to brag on forums and waste electricity.
    in the past people from amd like bridgman told us that the highest quality chips they can produce detected in the binning process go into threatripper cpus because thats their PR Halo-Light-Effect Products

and the definition in the binning process for threatripper is the highest clock speed possible.

he told us that the binning process for EPYC CPUs does aim for low power consumtion. but he told us that high clock cores are much more rare than low power consumtion cores.

this really means 1. class chips go into threatripprt and only 2. class chips go into EPIC cpus and 3. class chips go into ryzen desktop chips.

its a 3 way selection process

high frequency chips go into threatripper
    chips with low power consumtion go into EPYC cpus..

and chips who have funtion but no such quality go into ryzen desktop...

Last edited by qarium; 01 December 2023, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X