Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking Five Linux Distros Against Windows 11 On The Threadripper PRO 7995WX / HP Z6 G5 A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Yeah, seems like either horribly unoptimized/missing chipset/CPU drivers, or wrong power plan.
    Seem like usual windows.

Comment

How, exactly, does Windows manage to be so slow?

I mean a job like image denoise should be entirely CPU driven, no? There are no NUMA banks here, so wrong memory placement can't be the reason. No performance vs. efficient cores. Is it all in CCD intercomms?

Comment

Excellent Benchmark, thanks Michel.

I wonder, between distros what's the cause for different performance margins?
        Why Arch is faster than others, is it affected by down-stream patch-sets arch applying on every kernel release?

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
          How, exactly, does Windows manage to be so slow?

I mean a job like image denoise should be entirely CPU driven, no? There are no NUMA banks here, so wrong memory placement can't be the reason. No performance vs. efficient cores. Is it all in CCD intercomms?
          Michael runs systems using their default settings, unless otherwise noted like today's Ubuntu with Performance tests, so Windows being slow comes down to how many background tasks are hitting the ram and/or CPU when you don't do any performance tuning on it; all that Windows bloat and telemetry. I'd be curious in some Windows vs Windows benchmarks where one of the installs is default while the other is follows a debloating and privacy guide.

Comment

Those who wonder why Windows runs so slowly are still not familiar with VBS, HVCI and KDP. I wish we had something similar in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
              Those who wonder why Windows runs so slowly are still not familiar with VBS, HVCI and KDP. I wish we had something similar in Linux.
              Oh, wait, VBS and HVCI are now enabled by default in W11. Damn. I'm pretty sure Michael has never bothered to disable it.

No idea what KDP is, need to look it up.

KDP is there and seemingly cannot be disabled.

Michael

You could really give this a try:

Updated for 22H2 - Install without Internet - When it prompts you to go online, press Shift+F10 and type "OOBE\BYPASSNRO" (that's an o not a zero at the end). After the automatic reboot you can install without network - Install on systems without TPM, UEFI or other requirements...

And this:

And lastly Windows 11 enables full disk encryption by default if TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are available. That can destroy certain results.

I'm 100% FDE wasn't enabled for any Linux distros.

This test needs to be redone from the ground up. You tested OSes with very different security measures enabled. W11 by default on new hardware enables a ton more security mechanisms than Linux.
              Last edited by avis; 29 November 2023, 11:51 AM.

Comment

As I have mentioned before, I work well under the Windows 10 UI (with some additional utilities like VirtuaWin for a 3x3 virtual desktop and Keypirana as a keystroke launcher.) I have to use it for work, along with macOS, and use various Linux DE/WM environments for personal. I actually like File Explorer for the most part (certainly more than Finder on macOS.) But I'm not here to be a Windows defender.

I think Windows 11 has screwed up the UI. I do not like the telemetry and "federated" apps and tiles, and small "widgets" that pull stuff in I do not want (I will search out news or events when I am actually in the mood to do so, do not want to be distracted by that stuff all the time when looking to get things done!) I like a proper shell and standard Unix-like utilities that I get with Linux (and admittedly macOS, which also with Homebrew is pretty good.) But yeah, I'm for looking to get further and further away from Windows where I am able.

Too add, minor differences in performance are not deal breakers for me. The above considerations are of higher importance and are increasingly turning me off to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Oh, wait, VBS and HVCI are now enabled by default in W11. Damn. I'm pretty sure Michael has never bothered to disable it.

No idea what KDP is, need to look it up.

KDP is there and seemingly cannot be disabled.

Michael

You could really give this a try:

Updated for 22H2 - Install without Internet - When it prompts you to go online, press Shift+F10 and type "OOBE\BYPASSNRO" (that's an o not a zero at the end). After the automatic reboot you can install without network - Install on systems without TPM, UEFI or other requirements...

And this:

And lastly Windows 11 enables full disk encryption by default if TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are available. That can destroy certain results.

This test needs to be redone from the ground up. You tested OSes with very different security measures enabled. W11 by default on new hardware enables a ton more security mechanisms than Linux.
                  Yes, Windows 11 by default (and being a new install and not a carry over from 10) enables several performance heavy security features. The issue with FDE is not that it is enabled by default, it's that it's by default a software based solution even if the storage hardware supports it.

I have no issue with "defaults" test, which this is, but the substantial differences in configurations with regards to security should be pointed out on the article.

Michael, any chance of including the windows performance profile on the comparison table?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Most of the tests where Win looses are CPU only, so FDE shouldn't change much in the final result.
                    This test needs to be redone from the ground up.
                    Really? No one is stopping you from doing your super special optimized tests, but many will complain why you didn't test this optimization and that special feature. Anyway looking forward to your testing.

It's not like the reasoning of Michaels test methods weren't explained to you 1000 times. And Windows regularly looses to most distros, nothing special here.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      Most of the tests where Win looses are CPU only, so FDE shouldn't change much in the final result.

Really? No one is stopping you from doing your super special optimized tests, but many will complain why you didn't test this optimization and that special feature. Anyway looking forward to your testing.

It's not like the reasoning of Michaels test methods weren't explained to you 1000 times. And Windows regularly looses to most distros, nothing special here.
                      Windows with insane security defaults (Linux doesn't even have anything similar to HVCI/VBS) loses (not looses) to most distros, nothing special here.

It's like testing the tank vs the Porsche 911 and declaring that the Porsche is faster. It is. Only you can be safe in the tank when there are people shooting around.

FTFY.

Comment

Working...
                      X