Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64-bit ARM Linux Kernel Against CPU-Specific Optimizations: "Pretty Unmaintainable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    As much as I hate ARM, this does suck.

This is why open source maintainers are a joke.
    Go to Microsoft sites, please :*

Comment

The joke are the engineers that managed to create a special snowflake that needs special optimizations

Comment

Your contributions must be invaluable to say something like that. I would like to see some of your most famous patches and some of the projects you've maintained?

Comment

I wonder what % of the 5752+ CONFIG_s are features vs hardware hacker-y in addition to the 26 quirks files...

Comment

I wonder if this will lead to Linux forks down the line, like how every company has its own LLVM fork.
            Last edited by Vermilion; 22 November 2023, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Open Source developers are still maintaining code that closed source dropped years ago. You're a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                The joke are the engineers that managed to create a special snowflake that needs special optimizations
                Modern CPUs are so incredibly complex that it's implausible you won't occasionally need such tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Open Source developers are still maintaining code that closed source dropped years ago. You're a joke.
                  I'm sorry, how exactly does this work in your mind, and the minds if the people that upvoted your comment?

Open source drivers are maintaining closed source code?

That's a hell of a feat.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I'm sorry, how exactly does this work in your mind, and the minds if the people that upvoted your comment?

Open source drivers are maintaining closed source code?

That's a hell of a feat.
                    Anyone arguing in good faith would be smart enough to recognize that what Volta said was shorthand for "Open source developers are still supporting hardware that closed-source vendors dropped support for years ago" and/or "Open source developers are still maintaining competitors to software products that closed-source vendors dropped support for years ago" and address the actual point, rather than making a fool of themselves thinking they've scored a win by attacking a strawman they constructed by intentionally reading an unintended meaning from a bit of lazy grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
                      Those that say "it is unmaintainable" should start the discussion on "How can we make it maintainable?". Leaving performance behind should never be an option.
                      Once the first patch of this kind is accepted, there will be hundreds of patches from people with their specific magic performance formula for their super niche kernel. Just look at whats available on github; I would not want to maintain that insane mess of different config options either. And also not deal with the bugreports caused by these.
                      I do understand the kernel maintainers position very well.

Comment

Working...
                      X