Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Shows Great AVX-512 Performance For Laptops / Mobile / Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddriver
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    The results don't look quite so impressive, when you realize they're showing an 8-core CPU vs. two 4-core CPUs.
    The article investigates avx 512 performance, it doesn't compare apples to oranges. But the perf per watt is core count agnostic, and intel is getting decimated there.

Of course those are older gen chips as well, I suspect 12 and 13 gen will to a tad better.

Leave a comment:

• dkokron
    replied
    libxsmm with MNK=64 is a bandwidth limited operation and therefore not well suited for this comparison. You need a much larger matrix size to get the arithmetic intensity up high enough to make it compute bound. Only then will you see any impact from avx-512. I also notice in the first libxsmm plot that it was compiled with march=core-avx2!?

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    The results don't look quite so impressive, when you realize they're showing an 8-core CPU vs. two 4-core CPUs.

My next thought was: "wow that Tiger Lake laptop is really smoking the Ice Lake". But, then I noticed the difference in power consumption and it seemed to explain a lot of that. In fact, the Tiger Lake laptop's power consumption went up by even more than its performance, which is why it's consistently worse than Ice Lake on the perf/W graphs.

Finally, looking at power consumption, it's pretty impressive to see the 7840 is much closer to Ice Lake than Tiger Lake. On all the perf/W metrics, the new Ryzen really smokes them both.

Leave a comment:

• ddriver
    replied
    Amd beating intel at its own game in avx 512 and smt.

Meanwhile, intel mocked amd's glue (which captured billions worth of market), then went on to pimp their own super-glue, then evidently super-glued their fingers together.

Leave a comment:

• AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Shows Great AVX-512 Performance For Laptops / Mobile / Edge

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Shows Great AVX-512 Performance For Laptops / Mobile / Edge

Similar to what I have shown with the Ryzen 9 7950X AVX-512 desktop performance and AMD EPYC 9004 series AVX-512 server performance, the new Ryzen 7040 series mobile processors are exhibiting great AVX-512 performance for laptops. In today's article is a look at the performance impact when toggling AVX-512 capabilities for a Ryzen 7 7840U "Phoenix" SoC compared to toggling AVX-512 with prior Intel Tiger Lake and Ice Lake laptops that offer AVX-512.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X