Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Shows Great AVX-512 Performance For Laptops / Mobile / Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    That's not to say I'm letting Intel off for its artificial differentiation of products, only that from a practical standpoint most consumers aren't going to care.
    It's not artificial differentiation. It's simply that their E-cores don't have AVX-512. Intel decided adding it would make them too big and hurt other use cases for those cores (i.e. Sierra Forest). Going hybrid-ISA would open a can of worms and introduce plenty of performance regressions vs. simply disabling it.

I'm sure they evaluated the hybrid-ISA option, as evidenced by the fact that they didn't fuse off the functionality in early Alder Lakes. The only reason to leave it accessible was so they could experiment with hybrid-ISA, and I think they made the right choice not to go down that rabbit hole.
    Last edited by coder; 13 July 2023, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brunosalezze
    replied
    Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Of course they are, the more cores you have the more performance efficient you are, and it is quite old CPU at this point. It is almost 3 years at this point since launch for 11th gen tiger lake.
    12th and 13th dont support AVX-512. It should have interesting results

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by ddriver View Post

The article investigates avx 512 performance, it doesn't compare apples to oranges. But the perf per watt is core count agnostic, and intel is getting decimated there.

Of course those are older gen chips as well, I suspect 12 and 13 gen will to a tad better.
    Of course they are, the more cores you have the more performance efficient you are, and it is quite old CPU at this point. It is almost 3 years at this point since launch for 11th gen tiger lake.

Leave a comment:

• cbxbiker61
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    And I've a got a Ryzen 7 7840HS based laptop, perhaps the only one in my country. I guess almost 8 years is enough for my previous laptop.

Haven't run Linux on the new one yet because SystemRescue doesn't support its WiFi card, it has no NIC/LAN and I have no large enough USB flash drive to copy my previous laptop Linux partition to it, so it will take time to figure it all out. I'll check if Fedora Live ISO works on it and then will try to send the data via Wi-Fi.

AMD laptops unfortunately have some obscure Wi-Fi cards which don't always work nicely with Linux. Intel laptops with Intel AX201 Wi-Fi work near perfectly.
    Yeah, Up until my latest notebook I was always just swapping out the wi-fi cards to Intel. My latest AMD notebook has a Realtek RTL8852AE in it that seems to work great with current Linux kernels. It's always a shame to have to open up a notebook computer to swap wi-fi cards but quite often it's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    That's not a 7040.
    What? It's the exact same CPU and Laptop.

It would be relevant to know if AVX-512 makes much of a difference between the 7040 and 12th or 13th gen Intel equivalent sans the extension.
    And that's what the older article shows at least for 12th gen.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by yump View Post

It's not. With the same microarchitecture and power budget, more cores at lower frequency get more work done than fewer cores at high frequency.
    Only true if a task is capable of being broken down into parallel threads that can run at the same time. If it's single threaded and synchronous, multiple cores aren't going to help and the only instruments you care about are any helper OPs to minimize the number of cycles needed for each instruction. The faster the CPU can dispatch those instructions, the better... at least till you hit externals like writing to storage. Like in most cases in life "it depends", especially when CPU makers are artificially changing available CPU instructions in the same microarchitecture.

Leave a comment:

• yump
    replied
    But the perf per watt is core count agnostic, and intel is getting decimated there.
    It's not. With the same microarchitecture and power budget, more cores at lower frequency get more work done than fewer cores at high frequency.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    We at least know that 12th gen doesn't fare much better: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen7-7840u
    But since 12th and 13th gen have no AVX512 we can't compare them in this context.
    That's not a 7040. It would be relevant to know if AVX-512 makes much of a difference between the 7040 and 12th or 13th gen Intel equivalent sans the extension. My hot take is that it may only make a practical difference in cases where there's some heavy optimization going on for very particular work loads. Otherwise, it's probably a non-issue in day-to-day road warrior office work so it doesn't matter if 12th & 13th gen desktop/laptop chips have it for most people. That's not to say I'm letting Intel off for its artificial differentiation of products, only that from a practical standpoint most consumers aren't going to care.

Leave a comment:

• avis
    replied
    And I've a got a Ryzen 7 7840HS based laptop, perhaps the only one in my country. I guess almost 8 years is enough for my previous laptop.

Haven't run Linux on the new one yet because SystemRescue doesn't support its WiFi card, it has no NIC/LAN and I have no large enough USB flash drive to copy my previous laptop Linux partition to it, so it will take time to figure it all out. I'll check if Fedora Live ISO works on it and then will try to send the data via Wi-Fi.

AMD laptops unfortunately have some obscure Wi-Fi cards which don't always work nicely with Linux. Intel laptops with Intel AX201 Wi-Fi work near perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Of course those are older gen chips as well, I suspect 12 and 13 gen will to a tad better.
    We at least know that 12th gen doesn't fare much better: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen7-7840u
    But since 12th and 13th gen have no AVX512 we can't compare them in this context.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X