AMD Begins Sending "Family 26" Linux Patches For Apparent Zen 5 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Begins Sending "Family 26" Linux Patches For Apparent Zen 5 CPUs

Phoronix: AMD Begins Sending "Family 26" Linux Patches For Apparent Zen 5 CPUs

It looks like the first patches have dropped today for early AMD bring-up around their next-generation "Zen 5" processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And me sitting here with an AMD A12-9800 setup...I'm so antiquated these days.

Comment

i'm disappointed that amd abandoned threadripper. I just want a few more pcie lanes and true ecc support, but this product wasn't meant to be.

lots of workstations choosing amd just using epyc rather then wait around for some threadripper chip to show up. At least intel delivered their latest Xeon W-3400​ product so there's something to purchase now.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
        i'm disappointed that amd abandoned threadripper. I just want a few more pcie lanes and true ecc support, but this product wasn't meant to be.

lots of workstations choosing amd just using epyc rather then wait around for some threadripper chip to show up. At least intel delivered their latest Xeon W-3400​ product so there's something to purchase now.
        Not sure I follow. We still sell threadrippers:

Also, ECC is available on Ryzen as well, you just need a motherboard that includes support for it.

Comment

So 17h was zen 1 through 3, 18h got reserved for some chinese joint venture, then there's 19h which was zen4 and this new zen5 is 1Ah.

If all goes as normal, zen 6 might be 1Bh which is a little easier to pronounce.

Comment

> So 17h was zen 1 through 3, 18h got reserved for some chinese joint venture, then there's 19h which was zen4 and this new zen5 is 1Ah.

Family 19h includes both Zen3 and Zen4 parts.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Not sure I follow. We still sell threadrippers:

Also, ECC is available on Ryzen as well, you just need a motherboard that includes support for it.
              well it's pro, not stock threadripper, but the point is that it's zen3 (pcie4/ddr4) not zen4. its nice that you can find ecc on some ryzen, but these days workstations need the pcie lanes and for shopping for udimm ecc is not really viable these days anyway. intel would have to add ecc on all their chipsets for the marketplace to pay attention. if you go out an look there's tons of epyc workstations for sale, and I think if I were looking to build a 4gpu workstation, I don't see the point of threadripper pro, sure you pay more per core for epyc but it's not that much more and you also get ddr5/pcie5.

honestly I think it's a bit of a complement to amd that you can put an epyc in a workstation. no one is building sp workstations, and intel releases xeon w at a worse pace then that of threadripper. If I were AMD I would embrace epyc for hedt, maybe make a chipset that's more stripped down for workstations and call that threadripper platform featuring epyc cpus.

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                At least intel delivered their latest Xeon W-3400​ product so there's something to purchase now.
                That is only marginally faster in some specific workloads (by using more power) than the old threadrippers. I bet if Intel releases a much faster chip Amd will come out with a new threadripper, in the end those are just server chips with a different label.

Capitalism isn't that good for consumers in the end, Amd can make much more money if there is an epyc label on the cpu.

Comment

I like techincal CPU news articles like this one ! And it's about AMD .

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Capitalism isn't that good for consumers in the end
                    What a bizarre and ill-informed conclusion to draw.

Comment

Working...
                    X