No announcement yet.

Arm Details The Cortex-X4 With +15% Performance, Armv9.2 ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must've been out of the loop for a while because since I didn't even know ARMv9 came out, let alone 9.2.

Comment

Is ARMv9 really a new architecture? I haven't read much about it. From what I read it looks more like ARMv8 with specialized instructions on top. (Not that that's inherently bad, I'm just trying to get my bearings.)

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
        Immortalis-G720 looks interesting, DVS update is nice addition, as Valve recently contracted ARM GPU driver developer, maybe next Steam Deck might be arm in some years
        In like 20 years, at the earliest. If won't be RISC-V then.

Comment

Originally posted by andresdju View Post

They say that it's the fastest ARM CPU, not the fastest CPU with arm architecture. It's equivalent to Intel saying "it's the fastest Intel CPU", but not "it's the fastest x86-64 CPU".
          Exactly! They basically admitted that they can't come close to apple and will compare it to their own chips. Obviously it will be faster and more energy efficient then their own previous gen ARM cpu.

Thanks apple for making great ARM cpus, because when intel was in your shoes (without competitor) they just gave us 2% year-to-year IPC improvements. From 6th gen to 7th gen they did not even improve IPC they just gave us freaking video codec support. But when ryzen arrived everyone saw 4 core i3 and they even introduced i9. So again thanks apple for pushing forward even without competition.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post

Exactly! They basically admitted that they can't come close to apple and will compare it to their own chips. Obviously it will be faster and more energy efficient then their own previous gen ARM cpu.
            It doesn't matter much if ARM cores are slower or faster than Apple's. Apple doesn't license their cores or sell their SOCs. Apple products have their good points and their disadvantages. If you accept their limitations and commit to their software ecosystem a fraction of performance improvement in the cores doesn't matter much, because much of the hardware experience doesn't depend on pure performance. Non the less performance will depend a lot on the kernel, drivers, compiler optimization and software ecosystem in general. If you want an android phone, it doesn't matter much if Apple cores are 10% faster (or whatever), similar if you want a MS Windows desktop, a high-end server etc.

Comment

as Valve recently contracted ARM GPU driver developer, maybe next Steam Deck might be arm in some years
              Or maybe they just going to release streaming handheld (like Logitech G CLOUD ​or Sony Project Q) for usage in pair with home PC or Valve's own streaming service.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
                Keep drinking the kool-aid. It's not hard to match M1/M2 in efficiency. The thing is, besides Apple, almost nobody designs chips for just a handful of implementations, that's the differentiator. In the case of ARM, it's even beneficial to leave a few low-hanging fruits out there when it comes to performance or efficiency. That will entice those who just license the ISA and do their own designs. ARM's designs are pretty much just the reference implementation. Or baseline, if you wish.

Comment

Immortalis-G720 looks interesting, DVS update is nice addition, as Valve recently contracted ARM GPU driver developer, maybe next Steam Deck might be arm in some years
                  ARM dropped X11 support from their driver and the open source bitfrost driver is a few generations behind ARM’s hardware releases. That killed my enthusiasm for their newer GPUs. It is a shame that we will not see the older designs used with the newer cores for something that works with OSS drivers at release.

Comment

i do not unterstand why valve only makes 1 product. the steam deck is nice but not for everyone.

its also not clear if the ARM stuff Valve licensed is about the steam deck.

to me it more likely looks like valve want to to their own gaming smartphone to compete with google and apple.

A ARM cpu maybe would be more power efficient but as soon as you need to emulate X86 code this could be no longer be the case.

in my point of view Valve would do best if they release full stack of devices means smartphone,Desktop PC, notebook,steam deck, gamong console and so one and so one.

if people would be able to use their steam shop libery on a smartphone this would be awesome.

also for some people the formfactor of the steam deck does not fit and they more likely would buy a gaming console or notebook.

its the same with the game half-life alyx .. valve did lose a big market because people like me did not buy and play it because i do not like VR headset gaming i do not have a VR headset.

Valve could make a lot of money if they rerelease half-life alyx as a normal traditional game without VR ...

thats exaktly the same why some people dont buy the steam-deck... i bought the orginal steam controller but i did not buy steam-deck... if they release a steam box or steam dektop pc or smartphone i maybe buy it.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
                      Let's hope that this 14-core ARM CPU is selected to be integrated into the future RPi5, that we have a real microcomputer in our hands...
                      The biggest thing missing from ARM related offerings is motherboards.

ATX, mATX, ITX, and even perhaps E-ATX with dual sockets for enthusiasts. Until the rest of this becomes available all the showmanship from ARM is IMHO unserious. They're once again targeting phones and servers and ignoring the rest of us.

Even moreso, ARM would be wise to foster drop-in chips that can be used in existing motherboards, like the old Socket 7 days. Compatibility with Intel Z690 or AMD X670 chipsets would give them a ready-to-go platform. Everything is open source these days so just a small fostering from ARM of efforts like LinuxBIOS would likely go a long way.
                      Last edited by ezst036; 29 May 2023, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X